What are warning signs of Autism in infants?

I am afraid that my DD might be Autistic or she might have some sort of developmental problem. She is digressing in her development. She doesn't say Mama or Dada. She won't really look at you, but gaze in your direction. She wont play with you. She won't pull herself up, let alone cruise. I just can't explain all of it.

But I don't know a lot about Autism, especially in children. Any information would be most appreciated.

kaitlynsmommy31

Asked by kaitlynsmommy31 at 10:49 AM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Best thing to do is speak to your ped about any concerns. Or call your local Early intervention service for an eval, they can come in and see what delays are there and point you in the right direction.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 11:24 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• In infants, it's VERY hard to say. VERY. It's usually not considered until they're closer to at least 2 unless it's EXTREME. Definitely talk to your pediatrician about a referral if you need one for a developmental pediatrician. You can call Early Intervention, but they don't make diagnoses...so you'd end up going to a developmental pediatrician anyway.

She's only 11 months old, she's not really expected to speak yet anyway.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:10 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Talk to your pediatrician about your concerns. If he/she thinks they are valid he/she should refer you to a developmental pediatrician. Also- for more information on Autism-- there are many great websites out there... try a google search.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:14 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Please have your child evaluated. If there is an issue, early intervention is always best.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:04 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Take to your ped. =)
    Does she smile at you or look you in the eye? That's a biggie.
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 4:22 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• It's not so much LOOKING in the eye as it is MAINTAINING that look. My son is autistic and he will look you in the eye, but he can't maintain it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:10 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Take your baby to the doctor. It is very difficult to diagnosis an infant with autisim. It could be something else and only a doctor that has evaluated your child, looked at medical records from birth on can do.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:21 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I took my DD to the doctor yesterday, and she referred her to a Children's Hospital. She will be seeing Audiologists and Developmental Specialists. The doctor had seen everything that I was telling her about and wants to get the ball rolling as soon as possible so we can get her into programs if necessary. Thank you ladies for all your help!
    kaitlynsmommy31

Answer by kaitlynsmommy31 at 9:34 AM on Aug. 11, 2009