Does anyone have this problem? Family and friends compare their children with yours.

I don't like it when someone compares their child with mine. I think you can tell me about your child without bringing my child into the conversation. In return let me speak about my child without you speaking to me like your child can do it better. It drives me nut's !!! I don't care if your child does something better then mine. Just like I don't care if my child does something better then yours.

truely914

Asked by truely914 at 10:55 AM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I can't stand that! Drives me absolutely CRAZY!

we have a family "friend" that does that....her and her Mom BOTH...I can't stand them...first off, she has a GIRL and I have a BOY...and secondly, SHE'S THREE MONTHS OLDER! gahhh! can't stand the two of them..did I mention that? lol
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 10:59 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I just wish I could mention my son without another family daughter getting brought into the conversation. I also have a daughter so I know how girls are.
    truely914

Answer by truely914 at 11:16 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• we have friends who have a daughter 7 months younger than our and a son 6 months younger younger than ours (yeah, they love us that much). anything my children do, the dad insists that their child does the same thing, only earlier. he is right now urging his wife to 'make' their almost 7 month old son learn to walk, and now, cause our son walked at 9 1/2 months and theirs must do it earlier. it's annoying beyond all belief.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 12:35 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I really dislike comparing any child. Every child developes at their own pace and i think comparing is unhealthy, especially if the kids are old enough to understand!!! I have a 3 boys and they developed at different paces. My middle son was born with Down Syndrome and has a developmental delay. I kept a baby book for my first son his first year, but when Dom was born i stopped using one. I couldn't stant the thought of comparing even my own kids. Maybe i went too far, but those are my feelings. I agree with turely914 about speeking for your own child and not try to "out do" others children. Just my oppinion
    team21

Answer by team21 at 12:39 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Yep--I have the same problem--my kids are compared to my nieces and other kids.
    Lanasmom

Answer by Lanasmom at 1:22 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• its something we have to deal with all our lives.

I take it all with a really big grain of salt and think to myself that if I don't want to hear it about someone's kid then they don't want to hear it about mine.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 1:27 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• EVERY person is different..so I think it's lame people do this and it's something we live with all our lives..if it ever goes too far just mention to them what you mentioned in your post keep it short and simple and mature.
    Willywonka06

Answer by Willywonka06 at 3:28 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I so agree with everyone! Comparing kids is just stupid because they all develope differently and at their own paces. Unfortunatly not everyone understands that or is too imiture to admit it because they have this sick desire to be superior in some way. Yes I have had my kids compared to and,God knows I hate it. I think the worst comparison though goes beyond "my kid is better in math", "my baby walked/talked before your child. Haha 3 months younger then when your kid did it to be more specific". My daughters ,all 4 of them have always been very petie and on the skinnier side, and I have had people comment on that! Saying they were unhealthy but their child is of "perfect" size. Really cuz at the doctors they said the girls are fine,healthy, they are just extremly athletic and have fast matabolisms! This disgusted me the most cuz there is no "perfect size" for kids who are constantly growing! So dont worry you are not alone.
    xomommy25

Answer by xomommy25 at 4:31 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• xomommy25, I agree with you. I really don't have problem with strangers or ramdom people comparing their children with mine. That just roll's off my back. What drives me nut's it's people who are close to you about everyting and do it none stop. I don't say anything because it is some family members and I don't want to cause any family problems. I just want to say you really can tell when someone is having a conversation with you and when someone is comparing. Thank you for understanding! I can't vent to my family so I came here to vent. Thanks again.
    truely914

Answer by truely914 at 5:36 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Of course truely914! And dont worry, or feelbad about venting. That is what we are here for :)
    xomommy25

Answer by xomommy25 at 8:18 PM on Aug. 10, 2009