What can I do about a picky eater?

My son is 2 years old (28 months) and he has always been a picky eater. He will not try anything new if he doesn't recognize the container or what it is he will not eat it. There are only a few things he will eat, and if he eats the certain things to much then he won't eat it again for awhile. It is so bad that if he eats anything at all I'm happy that at least I know he is eating something. Here it is 11 am and he still won't eat. I offered him everything I have for breakfast and he told me no to everything.( he did want ice cream but it's breakfast time) I made him oatmeal which he sometimes eats and I put it in his mouth bc he wouldn't try it and he spit it out like it was poison.
I hate to say it but sometimes I hate feeding him bc it is such a struggle I end up in tears.. Please help... What can I do? Also it is already 83 here and gonna get hotter so the heat might be somewhat of it.. I'm not sure..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• This is a response that I just gave to another mom: The air-o-tarian phase! They all go through it. First, make sure that she is drinking water, so she doesn't set dehydrated.
    Most important, do not create a monster who only eats nuggets, mac and cheese and hot dogs.
    Just keep offering a variety of healthy foods, and eventually she willl start eating.
    Frozen foods are fun to play with, and will get eaten, like peas, blueberries and corn.
    chunks of avocado and tofu are loaded with great nutrition, and are fun to squish between little finger.
    I have never met a toddler who wouldn't eat hummus (lots of calcium, protein, good fats and iron), you can mix it with a mashed egg.
    offer cut fruits with yogurt dip, fresh veggies with hummus or salad dressing, cooked whole wheat pasta and veggies with marinara or peanut sauce or cheese sauce.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:11 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• A lot of children become picky eaters b/c their parents allow it. Your child will not starve himself. My DD has to eat what is on her plate and gets no snacks unless she does. I dictate what we eat. If she throws it on the floor or won't eat it then we stop the meal and go back when she is calm and try agian. If he is hungry enough then he will eat. Some kids just don't want to eat. I was one of those kids. I was content with 2 meals a day per my mom. She would offer me all kinds of stuff and I would say is I don't want it. I wish you luck. Just keep trying and if your child sees that it gets to you it becomes a game that he just won.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:08 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• does he like chocolate milk? try kids essentials. they're shakes, similar to pediasure. my SD is finally eating regularly, but these saved me lots of heartache for a couple months, because i knew she was getting vitamins and calories that she needed.
    mama_moonsong

Answer by mama_moonsong at 11:08 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• We had this problem too. I think it's the age. I gave my son an ice cube tray of healthy foods, he could pick through. It had cheese pieces, sliced grapes, apples, cubed bread, deli lunch meat cut into small pieces, goldfish, peas, etc... I left it out for him to graze a bit then I refridgerated it. But he ATE some stuff from it. Remember, their tummies are only as big as their fists. Try to make sure he's not overdoing it on drinking milk to fill his little sotmach. You can offer some pediasure every once in a while too. He'll eventually eat when he's hungry, but if you are worried ask your pediatrician.
    LuvOurFamily

Answer by LuvOurFamily at 11:13 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• You can freeze some yogurt blended with blueberries, and call it blueberry ice cream

Answer by rkoloms at 11:14 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Also, I let my son use a popsicle stick like a toothpick to make it more fun
    LuvOurFamily

Answer by LuvOurFamily at 11:15 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• OP here- As much as I offer healthy foods he will not eat them. He likes some fruit but will not eat vegetables. I will buy the V8 fusion juice ( fruits & veggies) just so I know he was getting them . I was giving him pediasure for awhile but it got expensive and his pedi said it wasn't necessary.

He started to eat a PB&J but still hasn't ate half of it. (and threw it on the floor)

I don't want to make up excuses but I feel like I tried everything and I already decided no more junk food.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Does he like mac and cheese? If so I have no idea who the woman is my mom told me about, but she purees veggies and fruits and mixes it into mac and cheese, and other fun unhealthy kid dishes that kids rather eat. She did this because she was having the same problems , instead of fighting with her little one who could barely say enough words to make a sentence she came up with a creative way for both of them to win. Just and idea.
    LilCaprica

Answer by LilCaprica at 11:43 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• OP here- thanks but no he won't eat mac& cheese. He eats PB&J, eggs, cereal ( only some), nuggets, cup of noodles, Mrs.Grasses soup, some fruits, graham crackers,perogies and junk food of course. there might be some others but can't think.

He use to eat spaghetti but not anymore.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:25 PM on Aug. 10, 2009