sahms

What do you do for fun when it's 95 degrees outside? My kids are 2.5 years old and 8 months and I'm 17 weeks pregnant, so taking them to the community pool is not an option during the day when I'm home by myself. I have a small wading pool in the backyard, but the wasps are terrible and one actually got my girl a few weeks ago. We have plenty of stuff to do inside but I hate being inside all day, usually we'll go for walks in the evening but I don't feel like it's enough, especially with my super energized 2 year old. We go to the park but it only lasts for 30 min if that because I get too hot and so do the slides. I thought about walking around the mall but I'm afraid my 2 year old will disappear if I take my eye off of her for a second. Do I just have to stay inside most of the day til the summer's over? lol

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 11:15 AM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Local children's museum or science type hands-on museum. Cheap movie theater (ours is $2). The house doing something you usually never do or inviting friends over to do that with us (making cornstarch gak is a good one). Most nature centers have an indoor learning center. Rkoloms has some great ideas... regular museums and libraries can be great. Some local gymnastics centers may offer a "parents night out" where you get 3-4 hours with the hub and they get to run off some energy.

Honestly... I had a "leash" (daughter dubbed it that) for my son when he was that age. He simply would not stay with me and was a LOT faster than I was... we convinced him that mommy was on his leash LOL.
    crittermomma

Answer by crittermomma at 12:00 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• If it's hot outside me and my son will go to our complex pool or just stay in and watch some movies or play.
    LoriAnn87

Answer by LoriAnn87 at 11:19 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Try the mall, especially if they have a play area. It will be a bit stressful if your dd likes to run off, but if they have a play area she can climb and run and get worn out :)
    That is what I do, I have 2 boys 2 &3, they love it. Good luck
    LuvMyBoyzz

Answer by LuvMyBoyzz at 11:20 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• We go outside once the sun starts to set a little. For us that is around 5 and we will be out for about 30 - 45 mins depending on my energy level and how well my LO listens. I would say that you may have to spend the better part of the day inside or find a playground that is covered. We have a few in our area.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:21 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Put your two year old in a toddler backpack or get a harness and go to the mall. It will be good for all of you to walk around. Or you can go to a museum; many have free days once a week (check with your library, they may have a family pass that you can borrow). Libraries generally have toddler events at least once a week, and have great books and movies to borrow.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:23 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Well, if you feel like getting out of the house, then I like the mall suggestion. Our mall, (that is 45 min away) has a foam play place. The kids love it but I dont particularly care for it when its busy. My kids are older and they are quite content to lay in front of the tv or the Wii all day...LOL. They are getting ready to start school on Wed, so I am letting them have their last lazy days until then. What about friends? Can you invite a friend over that has kids too and then you can stay inside but still be entertained? I know its hard when you feel cooped up all day. Good luck!
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 11:39 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Uh, yeah, when the kids were little like that I just stayed inside. When I was pregnant with my third my other kids were like 9 months and just turned 2 and it was way too freaking hot to be outside. We just played inside all the time. Occasionally we would go out on our porch in the evening after it cooled off but I couldn't stand the heat during the day.
    Heck, yesterday it was 90+ degrees out and all I did was lay out in the sun while the kids swam (they are 9, 7, 6 and 3 now) and I'm not pregnant and had to go inside after awhile because I got sick from heat exhaustion and I wasn't even doing anything (no chasing toddlers or playing). I hate the heat. I had a migraine all day after that.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:39 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• When it's really hot I take the kids to Chuck E Cheese to run off some extra energy. There's a coupon online (www.fatwallet.com) for a 100 tokens for $10, and I feed them before I go. They usually don't use all the tokens so I can get a couple of trips for $10. Also if you buy their plastic cups they can refill them on their next visit for free.

Also our local parks dept has a free indoor play time at one of their recreation buildings. Have you looked on here for a group of moms in your area? They might have the best tips for what is in your area. Also there is a website called momslikeme.com that might have info on activities in your area.
    warrenfamily95

Answer by warrenfamily95 at 11:54 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I got one of those kids sprinklers set it up in the yard and played with them in it. All the movement keeps the bugs away. I had a 13 month old and a newborn so I would put the newborn in his portable bassinet in the shade and we would stay out about 15 minutes at a time throughout the day.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:57 AM on Aug. 10, 2009