Food poisoning and breastfeeding.

Wow, ladies. I'm having a rough day here.
Pretty sure I had food poisoning last night, though I didn't think of it at the time. I thought I was just sore and tired from doing a bunch of outdoor work, over the weekend. So, I fed the baby like usual. But I woke up with a terrible fever and chills, etc... Food poisoning seems to be the only logical explanation for all the symptoms.
How could that affect my baby? She's definitely fussy. (this baby is NEVER fussy) But she seems otherwise okay. I'm probably being a worrywart.

mama_moonsong

Asked by mama_moonsong at 11:16 AM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The food poisoning bug will not pass through your milk and if it is the stomach flu and not food poisoning then giving her antibodies through your milk is the best thing for baby. You are probably dehydrated and so you need to get that in check. Your supply may be affected due to that and that may be making her fussy or she senses that mom is tired and is fussy because of that.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:51 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• also, noticing that her urine smells very strong.
    mama_moonsong

Answer by mama_moonsong at 11:37 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Just keep breast feeding her. Your antibodies will work it out. Drink extra. Lay down and nurse all day. She has already been exposed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I honestly don't think food poisoning will effect her through the breastmilk. The more likely scenario is that you're dehydrated from pooping of vomiting a lot from the food poisoning and it's effecting your supply. Sounds like she's not getting enough milk hence the fussiness and strong smelling urine. Try to keep as much water down as possible and keep yourself hydrated so you can feed your baby. Lay down and relax and nurse as much as possible and keep yourself as hydrated as possible.
    NinjaMomma

Answer by NinjaMomma at 12:18 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• i agree, anon and ninja have good advice! keep hydrated, rest, and nurse, nurse, nurse!! hope you feel better soon momma!
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 12:40 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• thanks ladies! thank goodness she's such a good baby, and her big sis is in a helpful mood today, or i'd be done for!!
    mama_moonsong

Answer by mama_moonsong at 1:33 PM on Aug. 10, 2009