How do I start him on a sippy?????

My baby is 9 months old and I was wondering if I should start putting formula in a sippy? Or just offering water in it? How can I get him used to drinking out of it, with most of the sippy cups you have to suck REALLY hard to get anything out, well he cant do that! What do I do??

trl30

Asked by trl30 at 11:41 AM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 1 (-5 Credits)
  • We got the sippy cups that are designed kind of like a bottle.

They have silicone tops that fit into the ring and handles.

They are much softer and easy to get liquid out of, and I think that they are supposed to be spill proof.
    smarshy

Answer by smarshy at 11:46 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• With my daughter I bought some of those soft spout sippy cups. They even have one, in my walmart anyway, with a gradual trainer thing. I think Nuby makes them. One is shaped like a giant bottle nipple. One is shaped like a straw thing...and then finally, one is shaped like an actual sipply spout. It's soft, so the fluid flows out easier...but the suction is similar to a sippy cup to get them used to it. Then, once that was mastered...she transitioned to a regular sippy quite easily. FYI, I also did the few times in the bathtube while she splashed around a little. That way, she could practice and I wasn't running around wiping juice off of everything. Just one word of caution: after awhile, kids bite through these cups and they can spill, so keep a close watch if he's already doing that with his bottles! Mine didn't start doing it until she could drink from a hard spout though...so it should be fine! Good luck!
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 11:47 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Put his formula in it and once he drinks from it, get rid of ALL the bottles. Just make the switch. IT's going to be much easier to get him off the bottle now rather than later.

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:52 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• IMO you never put formula in a sippy and you never put juice and such in a bottle. I do agree with the nubby sippy cups though. Before the bashing begins I in no way mean that if you put formula in a sippy that you are bad or doing something wrong.
    imtheonlysane1

Answer by imtheonlysane1 at 12:02 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• if i dont put formula in the sippy and im trying to get him off the bottle then where do i put the formula?..........thats doesnt make sense to me, im trying to get him off the bottle by using a sippy instead right? or should i wait til he is closer to 1 year to let go of the bottle?
    trl30

Answer by trl30 at 12:06 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I bought a package of simple sippy cups from walmart that were cheap. You can put the handles on or leave them off. Not sure of what the name of them was but there is like 6 or 8 for $3 and some change. They say they are spill proof but not if you LO is like mine and tips it upside down...lol I bought the sippy cup that is suppose to be a transition soft spout but he hates it. With the sippy cups from walmart the don't have to suck hard at all. He got the hang of it after using it for a couple days. I just put juice in his sippy cup and still use the bottle. If he starts using the sippy cup well I would make the transition from bottle to all sippy cup. But if he struggles, like my son does sometimes just use bottle for milk. :) Good luck!
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 1:19 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• My 9 month old son uses the Nuby soft spout cups. I started a couple months ago putting water in it (because even though it's non spill, it dribbled out of his mouth at first) and then we started giving him a couple ounces of breastmilk or formula in it. I'm still breastfeeding, so the cup is just for a supplement but he likes it. Still has a little trouble getting the last inch or so out of the bottom (tipping his head back that far).

Answer by missanc at 1:27 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• My suggestion is, if you want LO to be off the bottle, but he can't use a sippy, you'll probably will have to wait a little. Give a cup with water and only water (they don't need juice or any thing sugary. it's bad for their teeth and even the ones that aren't there yet.) maybe with his solid meals, lunch, dinner, etc. When he gets the hang of it and if he can stomach whole or 2% milk, then take the bottle out of the picture. But ultimately they can be on formula till 18 months. But if you are looking for convenience, I suggest working with him a lot with the cup. You can get cups that are similar to bottles and have handles (that style was easiest for my LO) but I had to switch once her teeth got bigger and she started chewing through the nipple part. I now use playtex and nuby! The ones with the valve in them DON"T LEAK! I like them the best.
    DirtyMonkey

Answer by DirtyMonkey at 1:27 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• My DD didn't like the nuby ones and I never put her formula in a cup. I give her plain water,or with a little juice just for flavor. She liked the playtex ones with a harder spout, but I think it depend on the child. I also know many whose kids didn't like the sippy cups, so they taught them to drink froma straw. This must be somewhat ingrained, because I was out the other day and had a fruit smothie and decided to offer some to her. She sipped it right up fromthe straw without any help from me. Good luck
    NHRachel

Answer by NHRachel at 2:30 PM on Aug. 10, 2009