Did Kegals work to prevent tearing?

If this is too personal, don't answer, just wondering since this is my first. So suggestions? Did Kegals work to prevent tearing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:21 PM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I didnt do anything and didnt tear
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:22 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I didn't think they had as much to do with tearing as with helping your maintain and regain muscle control afterwards. I did them with all my pregnancies and tore only with the first.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:26 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• i think kegals are more or less designed to help with the strengthening of ur vagina so u can easily push the baby out...i do know that there are massages that ur doctor can do to help stretch that area out so it doesnt tear and u dont need an episiotomy...just ask ur doctor or do some research good luck
    dilemma1

Answer by dilemma1 at 12:27 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Talk to your birth attendant about stretching you vaginal opening, or teaching your husband how to do this.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:34 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Kegels are to rebuild the muscles in the vaginal walls ( they also can help you have stronger orgasms)

Answer by rkoloms at 12:35 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Kegels helped me so much with pushing and rebuilding after pregnancy. I did not tear, but they had to cut.
    nessa4555

Answer by nessa4555 at 12:56 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Kegels won't prevent tearing. Tearing occurs through pushing too hard too often (not giving the skin enough time to stretch) or through the skin not being supple enough to stretch. The best things you can do to prevent tearing is eat a good diet with a lot of vitamin E and stay hydrated. During pushing, take it slow. Push when YOU feel the urge, not when the doctor or nurse tells you. Breathe through the burn instead of pushing through it. Put your hands on baby's head to support your perineum during crowning. You could also look into a water birth - the water will soften the tissues and prevent tearing.
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 1:42 PM on Aug. 10, 2009