Baby signing

Anyone have experience with baby sign language? I don't mean for deaf babies.
Did you find it to be helpful? Did your baby learn it easily? Did you teach them alot of words or just afew basics?
Just curious about the whole thing

BambiF

Asked by BambiF at 12:32 PM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have got a baby mag, that had something about this. and I really thought it was neat. I've never done it, my child isn't born yet, but I think it would work you just have to do the same thing as you do when ur trying to teach ur baby to talk...repeat it
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 12:34 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I taught my dd a few of the basics which helped alot but now instead of using the word she will just sign it which is ok but I would prefer her to talk. Sh learned about 9-10 months things like: More, hungry, milk, thank you.
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 12:34 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• My dil did this with my grandson, it is cute, my only concern now is he will sign instead of talking.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 12:35 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Do NOT use Baby Sign. Use ASL. If you're going to introduce another language to them, make it a real one.

Babies don't sign "instead" of talking. They still start talking. Signing is a way for them to communicate their needs easier, less frustration for them as they can communicate before speech has been learned and there are many other benefits!

We taught just the basics at first. When they did start signing back, then we taught them the signs that they had an interest in...ball, car, play, cracker, apple, etc....Once they started talking, they stopped signing as much, but they still recognize the signs they learned.

One doesn't JUST teach the signs. One uses words and signs together. They are learning the sign and the word at the same time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:58 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I used sign with all 4 of my kids and found it to be very helpful. I taught them basics for things they wanted - maybe 25 signs in all? More, thank you, ball, bath, eat, drink, pancake, car, baby, i love you, etc. The important thing is to say the word while you're signing - signing does not hinder verbal skills, it actually increases them. I started with each of them at 7-8 months and they picked it up fairly easily, it's amazing to see how much they understand that early! Good luck

Answer by missanc at 1:02 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• www.signingtime.com

LOVE these DVD's!!!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:05 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• We signed with our first DD. she produced her first sign at 6.5 months, and by the time she was one, she had about 100 signs and 50 words. we stopped counting words and signs when she hit 200+ of each.. around 16 months.

worrying that a child will sign instead of talking is like worrying that a child wont learn to walk if they crawl. sign language is a WONDERFUL tool when you're working with little ones. it creates a link between the concrete and the abstract, which is the biggest hurdle when learning to use language.

I would recommend starting with Sign2Me complete learning kit (http://www.sign2me.com/shop/page3.html) since it focuses on how to get started.

Signing Time is awesome, but it can be a little overwhelming if you're starting from scratch. They do have Baby Signing Time dvds, though, which are great!!!
    mamarootoo

Answer by mamarootoo at 2:35 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I know 2 people that did this and I think I will too. One of my friends taught her son to sign for a lot of things he needed like milk and used it to communicate with her son before he learned to speak. She said her only regret was not teaching him more and it made it so much easier with this child than with her other 2 kids. Another one of my friends only taught a couple signs and one of them was more and all the kids would do is say more, more, more. No matter what he was doing he wanted more. Since he only knew a few words it was his only way of communicating so he would say it all the time to anything. I think if you are going to do it, go all the way and use it as a communication tool and not just teach a couple things.
    JoeyJrsMomma

Answer by JoeyJrsMomma at 2:38 PM on Aug. 10, 2009