Questions for extended rear facers

I was just wondering if any of you are worried about the side impacts when the child is rearfacing?? Are they more severe than FF??? I noticed in other countries (specifically sweden) that they latch the back of the carseat to the floor.

Also I was wondering about the leg room??? I was looking at some pics of the carseats in sweden ( a country who is known for extended rear facing) and I noticed their carseats are built differently than those here in the US and have spacing between the back of the seats and the carseat itself. Do you worry at all about leg breakage or anything like that since our carseats are not designed like those in sweden???

Sorry..I'm not trying to cause any trouble or anything.. I'm just curious since i was looking up info on rear facing.

http://forum.nybaktmamma.com/bilsikring-f392/nms-eget-bakovervendtgalleri-524428/

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:41 PM on Aug. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• I don't worry about my childs legs breaking since that has never happened from rear facing. My children would sit with legs crossed usually. Necks breaking from front facing too early does happen. A broken leg would be much easier to fix than a broken neck. As for side impacts children in 5 point harnesses front or forward facing will fair better than those in booster seats. Side impact accidents are more rare compared to front or rear collisions.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:49 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• It's still safer to ERF than FF in ALL circumstances. Side impacts are no different. Their carseats absorb most of the force, and their bodies move in unison with the force, as opposed to when they're FF.

There are no documented cases of broken legs while RF. There are MANY documented cases of spine injuries, and deaths when FF before 35 pounds. We have a little saying about that: broken legs - cast it. broken neck - casket. Also, you have to remember that kids are much more flexible than us adults. I was once told, babies bounce, grandmas break, lol. RF kids put their legs in a position that is comfortable to them. If they have older siblings, they can see them better too and keep them more occupied :) I will post some links below for you.

And there is NO need to apologize. You have valid questions, and i'm happy to hear you're doing your research!
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 1:47 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• This is a video about the importance of RF

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psmUWg7QrC8

And this is the story of a 65 MPH REAR END crash that had an 18 month old RF:

http://myangelsaliandpeanut.tripod.com/id5.html

European car seats are made SO MUCH better than ours here in the US, which is why it's EVEN MORE important to ERF.  We have harsher road conditions, but our child restraint systems don't compare.  It's sad.

milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 1:51 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I do worry about my sons legs breaking, who wouldnt? But I worry even more about his neck/spine. Sweden has much better seats, and you can actually import them, but its not legal. It does not matter how you are hit, side, rear, front, your child is safer rear facing. Whats sad is that questions like this DO start debates, when your childs safety should never be debateable.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 1:55 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Side impact - My seats sort of wedge themselves on the front seat. They do make seats that tether to the floor rear facing.

Legs - I weigh the risk of leg breakage (no reported cases while rear facing EVER) vs the risk of forward facing prematurely (neck breakage). THe risks of forward facing outweigh the risk of rearfacing. So, I choose to risk the legs. Less important than the spine. But I will reiterate, there is not a single reported case of leg breakage while rear facing.

They're not stupid questions! I'm glad you ask, rather than assuming, you know? Good for you for looking into it.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 2:23 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• And I will say Sweden's seats are superior to ours, as well. It's frustrating. But, unfortunately, the public outcry in America is "I forward faced my child and he is FINE." Rather than "Hey, is there something EASY that is safer for my kid? Maybe I should look into that since it requires ZERO effort on my part to rear face."
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 2:25 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I would rather my son break his legs RFing than suffer from life-alterning spinal cord injury from FFing. Yes, maybe FFing is more comfortable, easier, and more fun. But if you never FF your child, he/she won't know what he/she is missing out on until it's the right time to FF.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 2:30 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Excellent website and video, milfalicious08!
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 2:38 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Teehee, thank you, thank you. :D
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 2:45 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Wow! Great site milfalicious08! More people need to see that! :)
    Craftymomof3

Answer by Craftymomof3 at 3:17 PM on Aug. 10, 2009