Can you drink alcohol while your breastfeeding?

I turn 21 yr old tomorrow and my friends are goiin to take me out to eat and I wanted to drink a lil but wasn't sure if i could since i'm breastfeeding my son. He one month and three weeks old hes almost goiin to be two months. Someone told me that you can pump out all the milk that your body makes while you were drinking is that true? Please help with some opinions and advice.

SingleMommy09

Asked by SingleMommy09 at 12:43 PM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You should not drink to much as alcohol goes through your blood system and is not good for the baby,however you can have a glass of wine or a beer and yes after you drink pump your milk out and disgaurd the milk and then you can feed baby next time. Remember don't drink to much.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:52 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Another prime example of "breast is best".

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:53 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Don't pump and dump. It does NOTHING.

If you're sober enough to drive, you're sober enough to drink. The alcohol leaves your milk at the same rate it leaves your blood. P&D really wont do anything. It's not going to get you sober any faster, and if you're still drunk you can't nurse no matter how much P&Ding you do. So, sober enough to drive=sober enough to drink. Have fun!

Also: tabi_cat1023
    Thres NO reason to pump and dump, just like you don't dump your blood to get the alcohol out, it just goes away.

If you miss a feeding yeah pump but really missing a feeding won't hurt if its only a feeding.
    Heres info from LLL, IBCLCs and other sources
    they are the ones to trsut when it comes to BFing becuase they have the training and the studies to back them up
    http://www.kellymom.com/health/lifestyle/alcohol.html
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/alcohol.html
    http://parenting.ivillage.com/baby/bbreastfeed/0,,6pmn,00.html
    h
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 12:54 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Whoops: http://www.breastfeedingbasics.org/cgi-bin/deliver.cgi/content/Drugs/alcohol.html

last link
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 12:55 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• sober enough to drive=sober enough to drink.

SHOULD BE sober enough to drive=sober enough to NURSE.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 12:56 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• You do not have to pump and dump. I swear, people know nothing about breastfeeding theses days. Oh, no, metabolized alcohol is going to get to the baby! Have you read the ingredients in formula? There is much worse int he formula. Formula should be used when breastmilk is not available! I'm not saying formula is bad. I'm saying breastmilk from a nondrunk mom is a better alternative to a bottle of formula.

Now, you cannot breastfeed if you are tipsy. The rule of thumb is usually if you are alright to drive, you are alright to nurse. Or, if you are already pumping, you can pump and not worry about whether or not you can nurse.

And considering alcoholic milk is considered better than formula, yeah, breast still is best, anon!

Enjoy your dinner out. You deserve it! Oh, and if you do get drunk, the milk clears from you milk as it does from your blood. So as soon as you are sober, you can nurse again.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 12:58 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• And here the police say that if you've even had ONE drink you shouldn't get behind the wheel. So nice that it's okay to nurse a baby letting them get alcohol into their system, but yet it's not okay to drink when one has had even one drink.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:02 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• "Alcoholic milk is better than formula"

yeah, I'm sure CPS will agree with that when the baby is tested positive for alcohol in their system and take the baby away.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:03 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• There are test strips at Babies r us and I think even walgreens grab some before you go out (look online for a place that carries them near you) and when you get home just test your milk it will tell you if anf when it is safe to feed your baby:)
    heather.darin

Answer by heather.darin at 1:11 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• pumping and dumping does nothing. when the alcohol leaves your blood, it also leaves your milk. i agree with what arisce and apexmommy have said. no need to pump unless you need to relieve engorgement. if you are concerned, pump milk before drinking, and have your lo take a bottle until the alcohol leaves your system. generally 1 hr for each drink. have fun and be safe!
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 1:31 PM on Aug. 10, 2009