When can I start giving my baby baths??

My son is almost 4 weeks old and his umbilical cord fell off when he was 10 days old. His pediatrician said not to give him baths until she tells me its okay but his next appt. isn't until Thursday and I'm trying to make a bedtime routine that includes a bath. It looks like his belly button healed...and his circumcision looks like it has healed also. Should I wait until I talk to her Thursday or go ahead and give him a bath?

landons.mama

Asked by landons.mama at 12:54 PM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Just keep on giving him a sponge bath until you get the go-ahead. 3 more days isn't going to hurt anything.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 12:55 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• My doctor told me I could give my son a bath after his cord fell off.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:56 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I always thought it was when the belly button fell off. And if you say his circumcision is healed then I dont know why you wouldnt be able to.....

Maybe you can give him a wipe down in the place of bath time til its been okayed???

BTW how much did your sons circumcision cost?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:57 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I had it done right at the hospital after he was born so I never payed anything...insurance might have though, I'm not sure. A friend of mine said when she had her son circumcised it cost her $250...I was surprised. I didn't even know some hosp. charged you for that!!
    landons.mama

Answer by landons.mama at 1:04 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I was always told it was after the cord fell off that you could do full baths.

I enjoyed doing sponge baths though so we did them a bit longer.

Id just wait til your drs appt and then get the "go ahead".
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 1:04 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I gave my son a bath when his stump fell off...

ANON 12:57, i had blue cross at the time for ins, but the circ wasn't covered(considered cosmetic) and i'm pretty sure i cost around $80 or so. less than i thought it would be.
    annelebar

Answer by annelebar at 1:06 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• you could always continue with the spongebaths until you get the thumbs up at the appt. you could also go ahead and call the dr. and ask! she will most likely say it will be fine!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:08 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Your Dr., probably just wants to double check for sure that everything is healed.
    My daughters cord fell off at like 8 days, but her Dr. had us hold off for baths for an extra few days after just to make sure it was completely healed.
    Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 1:35 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• My Dr. told me I could bathe him as soon as his cord fell off. We've been bathing him in his little tub since he was just over a week old.
    JoeyJrsMomma

Answer by JoeyJrsMomma at 2:29 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• With both of my children, I was told that I could bathe them as soon as the umbilical stump fell off. If I were in your shoes, I'd probably go ahead and start, but that's really up to you.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:41 PM on Aug. 10, 2009