When will (or did) you let your girls wear make up? No judgements...just curious.

I saw this posted in another group and was curious.

At what age did you or will you let your daughter(s) wear make up?

I started playing in my mom's make up when I was 5. I wore it off and on (when my sisters put it on me) but I wore throughout Jr High and High school.

I have 2 girls ( ages 2 & 4) and I'm still not sure....maybe starting when she is in 7 or 8th grade. It depends on the girls....

eblstanford

Asked by eblstanford at 1:13 PM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Just for Fun

• My daughter is 4 and has play makeup that she can play with, but that's it. When it comes to wearin make up for real? I don't know...I started when I was 13.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:14 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I have raised boys, and am raising a second generation with a girl now. I think For me about the same time mine sons began shaving 13-14 yrs old. Although it seems that I snuck arouns in makeup against my moms wishes bach in 7th and 8th grade. If it were little more than a touch of shadow, lip gloss and a little mascara I will probably be okay with that for my granddaughter in middle school.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:16 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Middle School. I think that's about the right time.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 1:18 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• My daughter can start wearing makeup at 12, but limited. At 12 she can wear lipgloss and maybe mascara. Then we will gradually move up from there. BUT I do plan on sending her to modeling school in middle school, not for a career, just so she can learn how to put on makeup gracefully and wear clothes that complement her body.

Answer by missanc at 1:19 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Sorry to hijack the post.

"sending her to modeling school in middle school, not for a career, just so she can learn how to put on makeup gracefully and wear clothes that complement her body"

She will also learn to starve herself and to have impossible expectations of her body. It is betteer to take her to a beauty consultant.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:23 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I was allowed to at 14. I only have boys, but think 14 is a good age.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 1:24 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• My mom let us wear lip gloss (with no color in it) at 12- As far as make-up like the whole Shebang? I wasn't allowed to wear it all until I was 16- Even than eye liner was not allowed. I Don't plan on being that controlling over it, but I think 13 is a fair age to allow concealer, blush, eye shadow, lip gloss and mascara- But I agree with my mom, eye liner can be warn when she is 16-

JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 1:29 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I was allowed makeup at 13, but my mom never taught me the proper way to wear makeup so I wore too much at times lol. My DD is 5 right now and she is sometimes allowed a little bit of light pink lip gloss, and she loves her chapstick but that's about it. I plan to teach her how to apply just the right amount of foundation and concealer, lip gloss, mascara around the age of 12. She can start doing more (blushers, eyeshadows, eyeliners, etc) when she gets into high school. I don't think middle schoolers need to wear that much makeup.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:30 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• my daughters were not in to make up much. The oldest one wore some about age 12 - 13 but then stopped bc it make her face break out. Even as adults both daughters look better without makeup

Answer by admckenzie at 1:39 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• They practice at home with it now (ages 4 and 8) but for out in public I would say Jr high for light make up (light eyeshdows, lip glosses); high school for other makeup.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:46 PM on Aug. 10, 2009