Fit throwing!

My son is 7 months old and is learning well how to throw a fit. If he doesn't get his way he will scream and do a fake cry. Is there anyway to really correct him at this age to try to stop the fit? I have tried distractions and sometimes it works but a lot of times he still screams.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:28 PM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I guess my question is what is "his way?" Is he throwing a fit in relation to bedtime, dinner menu, wanting to be held, etc? At 7 months, I pretty much gave in to my baby on most things - he slept through the night with no problems, had a fairly well rounded menu and I never minded snuggling. I think generally babies at this age know what they need and I don't think they can start to learn "no" for a couple more months.

Answer by missanc at 1:31 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Ignore him, make sure he is in a place where he can't hurt himself and let him get it out without you, the more you respond to the "fit" the more you are teaching him that it is a good way to get attention. And i know from experience the older they are the harder it is to eliminate this kind of behaviour.

trying2survive

Answer by trying2survive at 1:33 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• ignore him. put him in a safe place & don't pay any attention to him, even if you have to close the door. When you respond to his tantrum, you're teaching him that tantrums are an acceptable way to get attention, when the opposite is true.
    DrJChappell

Answer by DrJChappell at 4:24 PM on Aug. 10, 2009