Flying with a 6 mo old?

I have to fly on Sept 4 with my hubby and six month old. I'm nervous enough because I HATE flying and with all the recent "situations" with all these planes it doesnt help. But my question is have you done this, any advice? Stroller/no stroller? What can I take in the diaper bag? I guess I am going to check the airlines web site too but I'd like advice from moms who have done this too.
Thanks

HayleyGM

Asked by HayleyGM at 1:35 PM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Travel

• When our daughter was small, we used a baby backpack and a carseat. In extreme turbulence, a lapbaby can become a projectile. Additionally, your child understands what being in a carseat means, and it is a familiar object in an unfamiliar place. If you do bring a stroller, gate-check it so it will be there for you when you get off the plane.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:56 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• For the diaper bag, here is what I do: pack a larger bag with a couple outfits for baby, more diapers than you think you could possibly need, wipes, a blanket, an extra outfit for you (in case of projectile spit up or exploding diaper), and a few toys if baby is into them. Then have a smaller bag inside that has a couple diapers, a small baggie of wipes, & bottles if you use them. When you board, put your large bag in the overhead & tuck the small bag by your feet. That way, you only have to get into your large bag in case of a major delay or diaper incident. You can do a diaper change just using your small bag (or not at all if it is a short flight).

You cannot take liquids through security so allow extra time to fill bottles from a fountain or purchase bottled water or juice. Check the TSA website for food items that are allowed or again, allow extra time once past security. cont.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 8:24 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Do one last diaper change prior to boarding--the changing tables in airplane bathrooms are TINY & you don't want to spend a lot of time in there.

Try to be as hands-free as possible. Everything in one bag (including your purse) & your travel documents in an outside pocket so you can reach them. If baby is in a stroller, use a backpack for your bag. If baby is on your back, use a rolling bag. You will have to take baby out of the stroller or carrier a security so again, plan extra time. You can carry baby through security but everything else has to be x-rayed. Make sure you don't have coins or jewelry or anything metal that will set off the detectors b/c you don't want to be figuring out what the problem is while you are juggling a baby.

Mainly,relax, plan extra time in your schedule & have fun!
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 8:29 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• i went on 3 flights with 7 mth old. basically do what the other mothers suggested but i have a few tweaks. u absolutely must bring a stroller ( i made a huge mistake by not bringing mine) Althought my daughter is very light, the extra stuff in diaper bag wasnt and made it really tiring to hold . The airline (american airline/alaska airlines& delta) let me take liquids cuz it was obviously for the baby. the only thing is the stop u at security to run a really quick test on the liquid. when we were departimg and landing i would give her something to drink, to keep her ears from popping.
    ProudMammaMia

Answer by ProudMammaMia at 3:37 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• thanks, all this was great. we did great! the bijorn saved my life though....
    HayleyGM

Answer by HayleyGM at 4:22 PM on Sep. 9, 2009