Is your son circumcised? Why or why not? first time mom of son and cant decide

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:35 PM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• My sons are not. The possible medical benefits are not overwhelming enough for me to justify making that permanent decision for them. It is something they could always elect to do later if needed, but can never elect to undo. We don't remove their tonsils or appendices at birth because those could require surgery later if they get infected.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:37 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I did- While I agree that there isn't much benefit, and many studies have proven that its not any healthier to do it VS. not doing it, I no from personal experience how much it can cause mental anguish later on in life- My hubby is not Cir'cd, and he HATES it, he thinks its disgusting, and always caused him self esteem problems growing up, because his penis was Different from "everyone" else- He is now 26, and WANTS to get the operation to remove his foreskin, but is far to terrified to do so now- As he is an adult, and UNDERSTANDS whats going on, and is awake during the procedure. I would rather make the choice to do it while there young, and unaware making the assumption that that is what they would prefer later in life, than NOT doing it, and them having to live with the self confidence issue my DH has.

JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 1:42 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• My EX DH, btw- sorry! LOL
    JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 1:43 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• i'm getting my baby circumsized when he is born, my dad isn't and has told me about problems that can occur later on in life.... my dh also wants our son to be circumsized, but his reason is just b/c he is
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 1:46 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• As soon as we found out we were having a boy I started agonizing over this decision. I researched both sides quite a bit and found there are dumb people on both sides, so don't believe everything you hear, do the research yourself....but after researching online and talking with 5 pediatricians, we ultimately decided to circ our son. I see both sides of the argument and do not fault anyone's decision IF they do the research themselves. There's nothing worse than an ignorant response like, "well, I thought all men were circ'd" or "eww, uncirc'd penises are so ugly" ... while that may be true, that is no reason to do it....but I digress....I totally understand those who choose not to do it and I totally understand those who choose to do it (again, assuming they know WHY they did it), both have compelling arguments, its up for you and your husband to decide what you feel is best for your baby. Good luck!
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:46 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• my son is only because its is so difficult to clean you gotta pull that 4 skin back and too me it is more healthier in a man and my husband wanted it done to all of the sons we will have an plus being a young boy in a bathroom pulling it out he looks different from all the other little boys why make him feel insecure around other men who have it done so nothing is wrong with being circumcised saves allot of work for them and plus doing it when they are older is very very painful for a man so good luck i would get it done if i were you !!!
    ohmama213

Answer by ohmama213 at 1:48 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I let the doctor circumcise my son, I heard some things about infections so I just let do it.
    Candycane1224

Answer by Candycane1224 at 1:48 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• No. Not Circ'd. For several reasons:
    I had a gentle birth, with dimmed lights, no medication, in the water, and so on. I feel that birth can be quite difficult for mother and baby, and that it is my duty to ease my son into life as gently as possible. So, there has never been a needle in my son, and he certainly was not going to have a piece of him removed!
    Not to bring religion into this, but I feel God made it and it is good!
    The foreskin is FULL ofnerve endings, and is very sensitive which is good for him boy when he's older....but, also indicates that the child DOES feel it, does go through a lot of pain, and quickly learns through that experience that life is scary, unpredictable, and unsafe. I do not want my son experiencing such agony and fear, especially so early in his life when he can't take care of himself or understand! I want my son trusting that I'll keep him safe and out of harms way.
    BearlyXen

Answer by BearlyXen at 1:54 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Im the poster. the reason I ask is because My DH is circ'd but his little brother isnt. His lil bro has had a few bad infections.... but I was just wondering the reason why my MIL's first born was circd but not her second... and asked for opinions on why or why not you ladies had it done. My DH wants our son to be circ'd. I too see both sides so I was just getting first hand accounts
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:57 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Most pediatricians will now tell you that there ARE NO significant health benefits. I didn't see the point in choosing for him to experience the pain of having his skin ripped off. When he is old enough to understand he can decide to do it if he wants and I will pay for it.
    As far as sex goes, if a man is uncircumsized he can last longer (in my experience this is true), and also has the benefit of his own lubricant.
    MommyKKay

Answer by MommyKKay at 1:59 PM on Aug. 10, 2009