how long do you let your infant nap during the day? Do you always feed within 4 hours of the last feeding or do you wait until they ask for it?

And if you wait, what if it is almost 5 hours since the last feeding?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:49 PM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my friends baby sleeps 8 hours a night 2months old. she just feeds him right when he wakes up
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:53 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• During the day? Before 3 months I woke him every 3 hours to feed during the day, I breastfed my son. But we had a pretty set feed-wake-sleep schedule. I let him sleep as long as possible at night.

Answer by missanc at 1:56 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Let them sleep when they are tired. Never wake a sleeping baby.

Feed on demand. THEY know when they are hungry and for how much a LOT better than you do.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:57 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I let my daughter sleep as long as she wants, and I feed her when she lets me know she's hungry; I've done that since birth. The nurses at the hospital got onto me about letting her go too long between feedings (5 hours being too long to them), but she's 4 months old now and doing just fine, the doctor's perfectly happy with her growth and everything. If your baby has health concerns that make it hard for you to know when he's hungry or hard for him to eat or something along those lines, then you're probably better off keeping him on a schedule for now; but assuming a normal, healthy baby, let him sleep, you'll be better off for it, too. ;-)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:57 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• My Dr. had told me when he was born that since he was over 8lbs that I didn't need to wake him up to feed him, he is big enough to go a long time and to just feed him when he wakes up and asks for food.
    JoeyJrsMomma

Answer by JoeyJrsMomma at 2:26 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I'm jealous. My son won't go 4 hours between feedings except overnight and that's only 6 hours. We would wake him up in the beginning, but he was only 4lbs when he was born.
    AlyKen

Answer by AlyKen at 10:05 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I always fed my daughter on demand and she is 3 ½ months now. She usually sleeps through the night but we co-sleep and she is breastfed, so it is not a big deal if she does wake up.

In the day time she really varies in her feeding times, it is definitely not on a 4 hour shedule though and she has gone from a 6 lbs birth to 11 lbs at 3.5 months so, she is doing fine, lol.

The feeding by schedule never worked for her as waking her up to feed usually ended up with a cranky baby that fell asleep during feedings and woke up an hour later still hungry. I say just go with your intuition, it is there for a reason!
    faeriefangs

Answer by faeriefangs at 1:43 PM on Aug. 12, 2009