Do you think that Doctors overprescribed drugs?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:53 PM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I've worked in medical offices where patients and parents INSIST on a prescription for everything. If the doctor tells them XXX will cure itself, the patient/parent feels like they have been gypped.  Parents would come in with letters from the school saying their kid was ADD/ADHD, and the SCHOOLS were requesting/demanding the kids be drugged.  All this before the doctor had a chance to examine and diagnose the child!

Patients, parents, and schools are equally guilty as doctors.

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 3:15 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Ab-so-freaking-lutely.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 1:54 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Understatement of the year!!!! lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:54 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Ditto to the two posters above me. It is absolutely obscene how over-prescribed drugs are these days. But, you know, the docs have to go on the fancy vacations and such given to them by the pharma companies so they scribble scribble scribble more scripts. Personally, I will ALWAYS look for a natural alternative. I haven't even taken an antibiotic since I was a kid since colloidal silver does the same thing, it's antibacterial AND antiviral, and the bacteria/virus can't mutate to become "immune" to it. Check it out... there are tons of other alternatives.
    Heather2001

Answer by Heather2001 at 2:03 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I'll be honest, I really don't think the docs are 100% at fault. Patients tend to try to self diagnose and then go into their doctors and demand certain drugs. I saw this happen at a clinic I worked for. The doctor would tell a patient about certain home remedies that may help, then the patient would come back and say that wasn't helping so the doc would prescribe something. Then the patient would come back for a follow up armed with material from the internet talking about how they needed to have this specific drug instead. Now, I think that there are SOME docs that over prescribe things, but the ones I've worked for or been a patient of have always wanted to take a different course of action before prescribing meds. I too look for alternative meds and I left a NP who was treating me for my ADD because she wanted me to keep trying meds when I hated them. But some docs really don't want to do that kind of thing.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 2:22 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• It is 50/50.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:48 PM on Aug. 10, 2009