Am I expecting to much from my 3 y/o?

Is it too much for me to expect my 3 year old to pick up messes that he makes without my help or supervision? I am not expecting for him to just go clean his room, but I think that he should be able to pick up the popcorn he threw on the floor. Am I expecting too much?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:53 PM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• No. He should be able to pick up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:54 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• yes, they don't understand the concept of cleaning up. Show him what you want from him. make it a game

Answer by admckenzie at 1:54 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Yes they should be able to pick up things. They understand. My DD is not even two yet and knows to pick up when I ask her to or not to throw certain things on the floor. You may have to supervise.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 1:57 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Yes he should be able to clean up after himself. My 2 year old drops something on the floor, he picks it up and takes it to the garbage. He spills something, he goes and gets a towel to soak it up. We tell him to clean up, and he puts his toys away. He also knows that his dirty clothes go in the laundry chute. They can learn and they can do it.

You can't expect him to do it if he's never been shown how...but yes, he should be quite capable of doing it.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:00 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• hell, i'm still trying to get my HUSBAND to clean up his messes.
    MommyToEthan

Answer by MommyToEthan at 2:01 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• While he should be able to pick up, you might have to show him what you mean, also their attention span is very short so supervision with reminders may be needed.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 2:01 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• If your talking about saying "go clean up that popcorn" and do not show him were it is at and were to throw it. Yes 3 is a little young to expecting that. That age still needs guidance

Answer by louise2 at 2:02 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Husband's are a different story. That's their mom's fault! LOL
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:20 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• No, its not too much to expect him to pick up, though you probably do need to supervise. They don't have a very long attention span, especially when it comes to something that's not as fun as playing a game. I supervise my kids clean up when they make big messes, but I don't necessarily help.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:25 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• No, I can tell my 2 y/o to go find his sippy or to put his toys back in his room and he fully understands.
    Fawn80

Answer by Fawn80 at 2:48 PM on Aug. 10, 2009