slapping a baby

My husband and I were in Wal Mart the other day. There was a mom with a baby in her cart, I would guess it to be around 12 months old. So I dont know what the baby did or could have done so terribly wrong but the mother yelled NO at her slapped it on the arm. Hard. I could hear the slap from where I was and then the baby started screaming of course. I felt so bad for that poor little girl. What should I have done? I just told my husband to get me out of there. It made me sick to my stomach.

stickyfingers

Asked by stickyfingers at 1:59 PM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• There is a definite difference between a slap and a pop on the wrist, If you heard the slap then it was definitely too hard to be hitting a baby. Even if you didn't know how old the child was, you should be able to make a pretty good guess. It doesn't really matter what the child did either if they were slapped hard enough for you to hear it, you should have reported it at least to a store manager as abuse. You are right, if people will slap their young children in public, what are they doing to them in private. It's the people that "mind their own business" that are destroying this country and ALLOWING child abuse to take place. I do dicipline my children, have raised 5 happy, healthy, well mannered kids, and I have NEVER abused them to get them to behave. WAKE UP PEOPLE!
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 2:42 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• nothing you could have done every one teaches there children bounderies in different ways and its not your place to say whats right or wrong unless the child is clearly being beaten.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:04 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• i would have had to leave too, because i'd have had a stronge urge to slap that woman.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 2:06 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• there's nothing you can do.
    at least she didnt slap its face.
    of course the child is going to scream....even if it was a tap they would probably scream, and like you said, you dont know what the child did and you dont even know how old the child was for sure.
    but out of other peoples lives!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:10 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• It just makes me think ~Geez if they will do that in public what do they do at home. As for tellimg me to butt out Anon 11:10 I didnt say anything to the woman. How much more could I butt out?
    stickyfingers

Answer by stickyfingers at 2:16 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Sickening!!! Unfortunately, there are lots of women on here that do the same. I would have been pissed too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:16 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Anon 11:10 is possibly one of those Moms.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:18 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• actually im not one of those moms, but thanks for caring.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:21 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Nothing. It's not your child, so but out. I pop my daughter now and then. And at age 1, they are old enough to start learning what no means w/o the repitation of no nos and whatnot. The slap on the arm probably didn't even hurt the child, she probably just cried because she was punished. What if the child was continously pinching the mother and "no" "dont' know that" "stop honey" just didn't work. YOu can't really redirect when in the shopping cart like that. Sometimes a quick pop on the wrist works wonders. It's not child abuse. I dont' know why it would sicken you that a parent is *gasp* discipling their child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:25 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• It wasn't her wrist it was her arm. And she hit her hard. I am sure it hurt. My husband who is very strict with our kids even got pissed that she did that. It is not that I dont agree with discliplining your children. You have to be age appropriate though.
    stickyfingers

Answer by stickyfingers at 2:29 PM on Aug. 10, 2009