my daughter has always hated me brushing her teeth, and now she will not let me. any helpful suggestions?

i have tried different toothpastes, and even firefly toothbrushes to make it fun. nothing seems to be working

graciesmommy007

Asked by graciesmommy007 at 2:00 PM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well, I have to battle with my daughter. Her teeth need to be cleaned and she is not able to properly do it. I had her pick out her toothbrush and toothpaste. I let her know when it's time to brush. I let her brush first but then I tell her that it's mommy's turn to help. I have to hold her down sometimes. It's not pretty, but I don't hurt her and I never punish her. After a few nights of that, she realizes that its easier to just go with the flow. When she's a good girl about it, I tell her that she was a good girl.
    You may want to be sure that it's a nightly routine done at about the same time. Tell her that she's going to brush her teeth and that you will help. Don't make an option for her. It can be a battle at times, but it will improve over time. Try to stay patient. =)
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 4:08 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I got my son a tooth brush that is like a rattle and let him do it himself. I give him his toothbrush and brush my teeth too so he knows what to do. The hard part for he is when I have to make him stop and take the brush away! lol
    HuskerMommy08

Answer by HuskerMommy08 at 2:04 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Let her do it, she is getting to the age of some independence, get it ready for her and give her the toothbrush. You might be brushing too hard for her, this is a good time to allow her to try, My kids did and then when they finished I had them open their mouths to see how good they did, if they did a good job I gave them the cup to rinse, if not I asked them to brush this area again. Give it a try..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 2:05 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• To me their is no such thing a "not let me". It's "you will let me" That's all their is to it.

Answer by louise2 at 2:07 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• try the toothpaste that taste like bubble gum.most tods wanna feel like a big boy or girl.i didnt like my mom brushing my teeth either.it hurt.teach her how to do it by herself.just tell her brush hard to get all the germies out and stuff.worked for my mom with me! good luck!
    Desi2Sweet

Answer by Desi2Sweet at 2:09 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Well, I make my son sit on my lap ( he's only 21 months ) And I say OK mommy do it first and then max can do it. the first couple times were really hard and he cried the whole time and tried getting off my lap but now he's started to laugh because we sing a song and he laughs at the sound. then he can have more toothpaste and do it himself. Now I have to attempt the flossing
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:14 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Get a electric tooth brush and let it massage her finger then tell her its her teeths turn. I do that with my daughter and she loves it.
    Nicole_2007

Answer by Nicole_2007 at 3:35 PM on Aug. 10, 2009