Pregnant Fish Help!!!!

I have 3 pregnant platy fish. I dont want the mothers to eat them however this is my first time with pregnant fish. What do i do? I am going to get one of the birth boxes. But I need to know when to take the mothers out of the birthing box. When i take them out of the birthing box can i just put them back in the tank? Also i need to know what to do with all the babies if i can give them to a pet store or something.

victoriak12708

Asked by victoriak12708 at 2:07 PM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Pets

• my moms fish just had like 13 babies. She just seperated the mother fish from the rest of the fish with a divider and put a fake tree on the side with her and when the babies came out they automatically went to the bottom of the tree and they mostly swim really low. as soon as my mom noticede the mother fish had her babbies she fed her asap, and now the mother fish hasnt ate one yet
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 2:11 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Thats sound like good advice, !!! Just what I was thinking!!!
    Korysmom96

Answer by Korysmom96 at 2:13 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• We used to have platties (sp? not sure!) and we basically used the birth box when the moms started looking REALLY fat. The birthing box should have two compartments- the top is for the mom, the bottom has a small hole that the babies can fit through and the mom can't. When the babies are born they are not strong swimmers and they end up in the bottom half of the birthing box. Then you can put the mom back into the tank. Babies you can leave until they are bigger. HTH!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 3:55 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• the above answers are correct... your local pet store would be happy to take them in though.. Good luck, I have about 12 tropical fish and have had them for years, still havent had any babies :(
    youngfirsttimer

Answer by youngfirsttimer at 1:29 AM on Aug. 11, 2009