Pregnancy after a tubal ligation...6 years later. Is it possible?

I had my tubes tied 6 years ago and since then my periods have been like clockwork, every 35 days. For some reason, after having my youngest son, my periods finally started coming regularly, before that, they were highly irregular. Anyway,I know it's possible to get pregnant after having a tubal ligation, but what are the chances 6 years later? I'm 5 days late, and I'm showing no signs of starting, no cramping, no feeling cruddy, no psychosis (LOL). If I haven't started by Wednesday, I'm going to take a test, but I'm just wondering what are the odds? BTW, if I am, I'll be very excited.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:12 PM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It depend on what kind of tubal you had, if they were burned and a section removed it is highly unlikely to have implantation in the uterus but a tubal pregnancy is always a risk after having your tubes tied. If you dont start I would take a test and go see your OB/GYN.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 2:15 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• It's always a possibility. Are you more stressed than usual right now? Have you started exercising more/less, gained/lost weight, anything else that could have had some effect on your period? I would look at those possibilities, too, if there is anything like that. But definitely test if you don't start soon, and even if it's negative, if you really think it's possible, see a dr. If it's a tubal pregnancy, you need to see a dr asap.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 2:18 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• After a tubal, your chances of conceiving increase over time. Your body has a tendency to try to "heal" itself & will try to repair the tubes.

Probability also depends on the method of tubal that was done.

Snipped & tied is more likely to fail while burning is less likely. Complete removal of a tube (or portion of) is virtually impossible to reverse (surgically or naturally)
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 2:31 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• OP here:My tubes were actually "tied" with a rubber band type device; they weren't cut or burned. I've been under about the same amount of stress the past year, and I haven't gained or lost any weight recently and I always exercise about 3-4 times a week regularly. I think I'm going to go out and buy a test now!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:41 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Awe that's so cute how excited you are! I'm happy for you and I really hope that you are. :] If you aren't, I'd say keep going at it like bunnies, or there is always adoption!
    ours

Answer by ours at 4:06 PM on Aug. 10, 2009