Did you have your children close together or far apart?

My Little sister and I are 8 years apart. Growing up we fought constantly and sometimes still do. I was used to being alone me and my mom. Then really fast My Mom had a man and a new baby. It was a shock to me at that age. I grew up with a lot of resentment towards her. As soon as I understood better I didnt resent her anymore, but I always loved her. Im 21 and she is 13 now. Because of the way I was raised I want to have my kids close together so they grow up together. I've seen people who get pregnant like 4 months after they just had a baby. LOL I dont think im that brave. But maybe like 2 years apart. How did you space your children and what were your reasons if any?

Also I want to add my Dh was 8 when his Mom had his twins sisters too. He felt like I did about it. New man and new babies is a lot for a small child to understand. We've agreed on close spaced babies

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:13 PM on Aug. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• My oldest two are 2 years apart and then my 2nd and 3rd are 18 months apart. Yes, it's hard when they're young but so nice when they get a little bigger. My 2nd and 3rd particularly are very close and entertain each other. My 4th I had after I remarried and he is 9 months old. I am hoping to have one more so he will have a sibling close to his age - the older 3 dote on him and I'm afraid he is going to be spoiled rotten! :)

Answer by missanc at 2:16 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• We had our first two 7 years apart, we were both young and I didnt want a house full of kids I couldnt raise by myself if something happened to us. So DH finally convinced me to have baby number 2 and between her and baby number 3 is 22 months apart, and they fight like cats and dogs. The oldest and the second get along very well, no toys are clothes or stuff to fight over LOL. Either way, it will have its ups and downs.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 2:19 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I was only 17 when I had my oldest. So I waited to have my 2nd. They are 5 1/2 years apart.

Answer by louise2 at 2:21 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I have 3 in 33 months. (two surprises) I definitely don't recommend doing THAT on purpose! It's tough on your body and rougher on your mind.

My youngest two are 11 months apart...and they fight CONSTANTLY!!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:22 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• my kids are 2.5 yrs apart

Answer by admckenzie at 2:30 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• #1 and #2 are 26 mths apart(so basically 2 yrs).
    #2 and #3 are 19 mths apart.

We wanted them about 2-2 1/2 years apart. We figured they would be a bit independent and not as constantly in need plus with our ages we didnt want to spread them out any farther.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 2:36 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Mine are 9 years 8 months apart. My son has always LOVED his baby sister. He held her, fed her, changed her, etc when she was a baby, as she got older he learned how to play with her, they are now 18 and 9 and they are SUPER close. She is getting very anxious about him moving out. They went to the same school house (very small town), but he graduated last year so now she will be attending school for the first time alone, she's not sure she likes that at all. LOL. My brother and I are only 22 months apart and we were never as close growing up as my two are. My hubby had 3 when we married that are 9 months older than my son and 13 months younger. When they were all young, they fought like cats and dogs. I guess it all depends. BTW, missanc, my youngest is totally spoiled by being so far behind the rest of her brothers and sisters.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 2:53 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Ours were almost perfectly two years apart. Oldest 11/9/04 middle 10/06/06 and youngest is 10/27/08 and we were planning one more when our oldest two were both in school. I went to the doctor at 4 months post partum to get my iud and surprise! Im due in November. This will probably be our last. Our reasons were the same as yours. My hubbys sisters are 20 & 23 years older than him. In their late 40's. And my sisters are 13 years older than me. We never knew our sibblings really because his were grown and gone when he was born and mine shortly after..
    Goldie_And_Luke

Answer by Goldie_And_Luke at 3:07 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• My kids are 17 months apart and they play together and love it. When my youngest started walking well that is when they really started playing a lot more and now they're like two peas in a pod.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 3:26 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• My brother is 2 years younger then me and we fought a lot (like siblings tend to do) but he was and is and always will be one of my best friends.
    My older 3 kids are each a year apart. #1 was 6 months and #2 was 4 months when I got pregnant with the next. So there are 15 months between #1 and #2 and 13 months between #2 and #3. They are best friends and do everything together. The middle one is a boy and the 3 share a room. We've discussed their brother switching rooms with their 3yo sister but they'd rather he stay in the room with them. They are 9, almost 8 and almost 7 now.
    Then there is 3 1/2 years between #3 and #4. I much preferred the 1 year spacing.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:50 PM on Aug. 10, 2009