Disney

What do you think about taking a 2 1/2 year old to Disney? Pros/Cons? Have you done it? Does it seem worthwhile?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:15 PM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Taking a two and half year old to disney isn't a waste of money in my opinion. There isn't even a charge for them until they turn 3. Just keep in mind they will end of cranky if you don't them them out of the stroller to strech their legs. The long drive there wasn't bad between the vsmile pocket, portable dvd player and the coloring books I took she seemed content. If your toddler is shy he/she might not get much out of the experience but as mentioned above it probably won't be remmbered any. Get the dining plan if you can afford it, eat at the sit down restaurants and kids under 3 will also eat for free (or at least mine did). Don't forget to save money for the tips though the service is for the most part great and they deserve it. Lots of good photo ops for taking pictures of your child with characters but be prepared to stand in line. Character dining makes it easier to get pictures with them.
    mrsnoble2004

Answer by mrsnoble2004 at 2:27 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• No pros. Cons, The kids will not have fun or remember going. Waist of money. You will have to bring the child back again when it's older.

Answer by louise2 at 2:18 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• My cousin is 2 1/2 and i cannot imagine taking her to disney world, too expensive and crowded for that young of age, plus she would probably whine and complain the whole time! i would wait a couple of years for that.
    maybe take the 2 1/2 yr old to a water park or an aquarium something not so expensive and crowded. GL!
    trl30

Answer by trl30 at 2:25 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• If the little one is into Disney, then it should be fine. I think this is a little too young, but if you have the money and take frequent breaks, and if you really want to go, then she should get along. My 2 year old granddaughter just went, and she had a ball, lots of happy pictures. She loved the character dinners. Some little ones are afraid of the big characters, so an outgoing little one might enjoy it more than a shy little one. We took my children at age 4 and 7, and the 4 year old got very tired very quickly, it was probably a wasted trip on him. We even took a two hour break in the middle of the day. Something you might do is stay on the property so that you can go back to your room and let the little one splash around in the pool or just kick back at least once during the day.

Answer by Bmat at 2:29 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• My friend wants to take her 4 year old and thought it'd be great if we could go to. I just always thought it was a waste for the 2 year old who wouldn't really remember. I'm sure she'd have fun, she's very outgoing and loves to run around. We'd go in Dec when it's not so crowded and we only live about 2-3 hours away. We'd get a hotel nearby for naps to help with crankiness. I'm not sure if I actually want to go and deal with the crowds and all. Just looking for some input. So thanks! And other mommies checking out the question, keep the input coming! :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:34 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• ditto on no pros, all cons. It's for older kids. It will wear you out and it wasn't much fun for us.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:48 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• There are lots of very tired little ones there. The ones that make me sad are the little babies in the strollers and exposed to the sun, even with sunblock all over them that can't be very comfortable. I've heard parents say that they'd just take their toddlers into a quiet garden or area and let them be away from the crowds every so often.

Answer by Bmat at 2:58 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I'd wait until your child is older. Other than the Magic Kingdom, the parks don't have a lot of rides/activities aimed at kids that young. EPCOT and MGM have a lot of shows/movies that would be beyond a 2 yr old. Height restrictions at the Magic Kingdom will limit what he can go on. Animal Kingdom she may simply not appreciate. Going back to the hotel for naps sounds like a good idea but in practice, it's very timeconsuming given how long it takes just to get back off Disney property.. If the thought is to go the week between Christmas and New Years, be aware that it's very crowded that week. personally if I were going to take kids that young, I'd pick a very off week while most kids are in school.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:17 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I forgot to mention while disney has buses to get you around everywhere, the kids have to come out of the stollers to get on the bus, which if she was sick of the stroller to begin with is going to make it difficult on both of you getting her out just to bee put back in a few miles down the road.
    mrsnoble2004

Answer by mrsnoble2004 at 3:42 PM on Aug. 11, 2009