I found a my son's favorite long-lost sippy but the plastic "sip" part smells bad. How can I get rid of the smell?

It's been lost for a week and I finally found it in the car. I cleaned it really well with hot soapy water then soaked it overnight in baking soda and water. However, it still faintly smells of spoiled milk. Anyone know any way to get the odor out short of bleach?

And before someone says it, yes, I'm cheap. I don't want to toss it and get another.

benjamink

Asked by benjamink at 2:21 PM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Well you could always boil it, or throw it in your dish washer, at least then you can be rest assured that it has been sterilized. Don't know if that would take the smell out...
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 2:24 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Baking soda is the best thing I know. Maybe repeat that but make the solution stronger. The smell may go away if you just let it air out really well, too.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:25 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• A teaspoon of bleach and then fill the entire cup up with water. Let soak about 15 minutes, then wash well in hot soapy water and rinse. The smell will be gone and no trace of bleach!
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 2:26 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I left one of DD bottles in her diaper bag by mistake and I boiled it with a little vinegar in the water, now I know it is sterile and the smell is conpletely gone. I just suggest rinsing it off after you take it out of the boiling water (and it cools a bit) to be sure there is no more vinegar in it. Wouldn't want curdled milk.
    NHRachel

Answer by NHRachel at 2:35 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• vinegar and hot water

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:57 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I would replace it...

Answer by rkoloms at 3:24 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Try soaking it in vinager, with dish soap, btw bleach doesn't help get the the smell out of things like sippy cups or bottles, tried it one of my sons bottles and it still smelled funny, and i soaked it three or four different times.
    vgiron

Answer by vgiron at 2:55 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Gross - atleast replace the top part , it's probably the cup part he loves not the lid!
    momrocks1000

Answer by momrocks1000 at 3:42 PM on Aug. 19, 2009