avacado?

Has anyone heard that avacado should be your babies first food?
my mother in law insist on this because this all natural dr she sees says that avacado should be a babies first food because its high in iron and good fats and its easier to break down then rice cereal? Im going to ask our pedi next time we are there because our little guy is almost ready for solids. But i do wana know if anyone else has heard this?

Jaxsmommy09

Asked by Jaxsmommy09 at 2:30 PM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• DD pediatrician said rice cereal first, but she does like avacado.
    NHRachel

Answer by NHRachel at 2:31 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I have never heard of this. Maybe for the first baby food but Rice cereal should be the first thing after formula.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 2:35 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I've never heard that, but it should be fine - my son loves avocado and it was one of his first.

Answer by missanc at 2:45 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• LLL suggests this progression when introducing your baby (6 months or older) to solid foods:

* Ripe banana, avocado, yam, or sweet potato (sweet like breastmilk)
    * Meats
    * Whole-grain breads and cereals (rather than baby cereals)
    [wheat and corn are usually delayed until baby is 9-12 months old]
    * Fresh fruits
    [citrus fruits are usually delayed until baby is 9-12 months old]
    * Vegetables
    * Dairy products after 9 months
    [cow's milk is usually delayed until baby is 12-18 months old]
    abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 2:54 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• shes right. its awesome. and lots of people skip cereal
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 3:03 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Avocado is a WONDERFUL first food! Rice cereal ONLY has blandness to commend it; the fact that it causes constipation outweighs the blandness in my mind.

Check out the wholesomebabyfood.com website.

Banana is another good first food.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:04 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• "DD pediatrician said rice cereal first"

I know a lot of Pedi's say this, but seriously, you do realize you don't HAVE to give rice cereal as a first food, right? It has ZERO nutritional value, can constipate a baby, and unless prescribed for reflux, I personally think it should be avoided altogether. The sweet old avocado, while high in total fat, is high in the fat that your body wants and needs. It is extremely low in cholesterol and sodium and is packed with a whopping 13 grams of dietary fiber! It is a great source of Vitamin K, Vitamin C, and Folate, and well… my goodness, it is pretty darn hard to get so many nutrients packed into one food that needs NO work at all to taste good. Plus it helps keep you skin soft and your hair shiny. It’s a flat out superfood here to save the diet. Like superman, with no cape.

http://www.nutritionforthenaive.com/2009/01/avocado-nutrition/
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 3:26 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• avocado is good for finger foods.
    mommylovesu28

Answer by mommylovesu28 at 3:29 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Yep I've heard that too. We still tried rice first but Avocado was my son's second food.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 3:29 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I have read that too. I am asking my pedi about it at her appointment on Friday.

Also, some pedi's reccomend oat baby cereal especially if they have had constipation problmes.
    Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 3:46 PM on Aug. 10, 2009