Weaning questions

Hello all! Just wondering how old your child was when you weaned them or how old when they weaned themselves? Do you think it's harder for boys to wean or is it just mine? He is 15 months and man-o-man is he ever a "boob-man." We have been working on slowly weaning him, but he's not too interested in giving it up!I ready articles of people saying that their child just did not want the breast anymore, and I just can't imagine that ever happening in my world. Please refrain from any judgments, but your thoughts are truly appreciated!

Julians_Momma

Asked by Julians_Momma at 2:55 PM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's hard because he's 15 months. **smile** They're designed to nurse for two years or more.

The ones who give it up on their own are typically led to it with lots of solids.

I instituted "don't offer don't refuse" at one year. My son weaned at 26 months.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:01 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• most nurse until age 2 beyond while I would start weaning at about one EVERYONE is different. can not imagine BF my son now who is almost 3 because boobs are funny to him already and he thinks they are silly etc. But be consistant whatever you do, if he drinks well from a sippy then I say wean him fast.
    Willywonka06

Answer by Willywonka06 at 4:28 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• My son was weaned by 18 months but it took about a couple months. . . We slowly cut out one feeding at a time. Nap time feedings were cut and replaced with rocking and books. Morning feeding was replaced by a sippy of milk. Nite time feeding (the hardest) took a month and was shortened each week and replaced by rocking and books. . .

If he isn't ready yet you might want to wait a month or two and try again if you can.
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 9:48 PM on Aug. 10, 2009