Would you purchase a new vehicle just because you can afford it?

Here is my dilemma. I have a 2002 odysse van that has 150k miles. It works great. I just got new tires. The front bumper fell off--long story short it was my fault.
Should I pay the price to get a new bumper or just not put money into it and get a new vehicle. I can afford a new replacement. I just am not sure if I need it. So should I go out and stimulate? The economy? Or just wait for another year then purchase it?

mmmegan38

Asked by mmmegan38 at 2:56 PM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Just for Fun

• If it were me, I wouldn't fix the bumper & I wouldn't get a new van. I'd just drive it like it is. Bumpers are cosmetic (& I'm not trying to impress anyone), and it just doesn't makes sense - to me - to spend $20-30k on a new vehicle if there's nothing wrong with the one you've got now.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 3:05 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Now is the best time to buy and why put more money into it. 150k miles is a lot and it will continue to have problems.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:00 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• get the bumper fixed then sell the car on craigslist or whereever then use the money you get for the car towards a new 1 iif u really want a new 1.be happy you have money just in case of anything.gl in your decision.
    Desi2Sweet

Answer by Desi2Sweet at 3:00 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• ill take your old one lol if its free. I have a POS that is falling apart and i cant afford to kepp it afloat. It has acracked windsheild, no passenger side window and the bumper, and right rearview mirror is falling off. But its all i can afford. If you CAN afford it go for it. Hell if i had the money i would
    collegemom1007

Answer by collegemom1007 at 3:00 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Well, i have a 2004 Nissan and in 4 months i am getting a new Camero. So i guess if you have the money then go ahead.... I am giving my old car to my son so he will be safe while he is driving and not in no 1968 beat up car....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:01 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• buy a new one
    Lacrisha

Answer by Lacrisha at 3:04 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• When you start putting more money into it than you would to make payments on a new car, then it is time to buy.

Answer by Bmat at 3:06 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Weigh the costs of fixing teh bumper plus any other maintence type issues you may have to the new car payment. I'd recommend holding onto it a bit longer so you can save up for a nicer one or set money aside for vacations etc. No car payment is alway nice. Unless you are buying it outright, then this probably doesn't apply :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:07 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Uh no bumpers are not just cosmetic. They absorb impact. Her bumper fell off. This is not cosmetic. I believe it is even illegal to drive around without a bumper. If you want a new car I would say fix the bumper and sell the car. If you are just thinking of buying a new car just because of this issue I say fix it and keep it. My Husband's truck has 185,000 miles on it and in the past week the steering line has broken and been replaced and now the brake line has rusted and come apart, so no brakes. We will get it fixed Friday, but no new truck. My Husband LOVES his truck and these repairs are not costing as much as a car payment.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 3:51 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Fix it, sell it, Buy a Toyota!
    mommyslate

Answer by mommyslate at 4:14 PM on Aug. 10, 2009