how do i get my son to help pick up their toys?

i have twins and one cleans up when i ask the other one just sits there and does it so so so slow and then ends up not picking them up altogether.

rosepetalluv

Asked by rosepetalluv at 3:00 PM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I had this problem for a lil while with my son.. But then I started using the clean up song and my son started helping me clean up his toys.. So I guess you could try using that and a reward system if they help clean up??
    Cameolynn

Answer by Cameolynn at 3:03 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Using a clean-up song is a great idea. Some children also need more transition time between activities, so singing the clean-up song first to indicate that clean-up time is nearing is helpful for those children. Consistency in doing the same thing each time you clean-up, i.e. singing the same song each time and cleaning up the same way, may also help.
    azmusicteacher

Answer by azmusicteacher at 4:35 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• We have a clean up song and making clean up time into a game helps too. "Let's see how many toys can we pick up in 30 seconds!" Or "I spy something that is orange and that goes in this bin. Do you see it?" Things like that. Having designated areas for different kinds of toys makes it easier to know where things go. I have lots of plastic see through drawers and bins with pictures of the toys that go inside them on the front. Cars in one bin, trains in another, dinosaurs, animals, etc. Also, picking up for 5 minutes several times a day is easier and less stressful than one big clean up, so we have morning clean up, afternoon clean up and evening clean up.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 1:43 AM on Aug. 11, 2009