Did you buy your teen a car and pay for insurance?

Just wondering what everyone else does, our 17 yr old just got his license and wants to buy a car. Thoughts?

dillonsma

Asked by dillonsma at 3:04 PM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Well we don't have teens yet, the oldest is 3! But we have discussed this and we will NOT be buying a vehicle for our kids AND they will have to pay for the insurance to drive our vehicles! That is the way it was for both of us and we don't see a need for it to be any different. We are willing to drive them to their jobs or let them use the car, but that is the extent of our generosity! LOL!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 3:06 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Well my friends parents had let her buy whatever car she wanted with her own money and just paid for insurance and she was very happy about it. I think thats a fair way it teaches them the value of money but you as a parent are still helping them out.
    jhutch8267

Answer by jhutch8267 at 3:07 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• We told the boys if they wanted a car that they had to buy it and pay for upkeep and gas. We did pay for insurance, because that was well over a thousand a year. They both saved and got jobs and were able to buy cars.

Answer by Bmat at 3:10 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• when i was a teen my mom didnt but me one, i had to work and pay for my own car. I stared working at mcdonalds when i was 15 and saved every penny and bought my car and paid my isurance. I am 22 now and I had to but my second car with no help from my family. We didnt have alot of money. My sister will be turning 16 in december and my parents are getting her a car for her bday and xmas present but they are not spending over 2500, and she has to pay for the insurance.
    ggiovanni

Answer by ggiovanni at 3:15 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• When I was 17, my mom bought me a used car. I didn't have to pay for the car, the insurance or the gas. I thought it was so cool at the time, and my friends were jealous. But now I am 25 and have a child of my own. I feel like I would have learned more about responsibility then if I had to pay for the car, insurance, and gas. Or at least the insurance and gas. When my son is 16, he will work a part-time job to pay for the car he wants. It's better to earn some things rather than just have them handed to you....especially a car, which is a great, age-appropriate test of responsibility for a teenager.
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 3:20 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• We'd probably buy him a used car (if we can afford it at the time) and he'd have to get a job to pay insurance and buy gas.
    NJMom2Tyler

Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 3:31 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• We don't have teens yet, but I plan to do what my parents did for me. They split the addition to the car insurance premium 1/2 and 1/2. Any discounts I got such as good student discounts came off of my 1/2 of the premium and they continued to pay half of the base rate. If I had been in an accident, I would have been responsible for the deductible and any increase in premiums. I worked and saved money to buy my first car and my parents matched me $ for $ for what I saved up. They wanted me to be able to afford a safe car, but also wanted me to work for it.

riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:36 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I DID, ALL THREE OF THEM I BOUGHT THEM USED CARS, NOTHING FANCY, JUST RELIABLE. I PAID FOR THEIR INSURANCE AND GAS AND I DON'T REGRET ANY OF IT. MY KIDS NOW GROWN ARE RESPONSIBLE AND GRATEFUL FOR WHATEVER I COULD GIVE THEM. I SAY IF YOU HAVE THE MONEY AND YOU CAN FINANCIALLY DO IT WITHOUT GOING INTO DEBT, DO IT. THERE IS NOTHING MORE REWARDING THAN HELPING OUT YOUR KIDS STARTING OUT. I PERSONALLY WANTED THEM TO GET GOOD GRADES GET A SCHOLARSHIP THAN WORK AND GET AVERAGE GRADES. IT PAYED OFF TREMENDOUSLY, THEY ALL HAVE UNIVERSITY DEGREES AND MY ELDEST IS WORKING ON HER MASTERS AND GOING FOR A DOCTORATE IN HER FIELD.

Answer by older at 3:40 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• My kids aren't that old yet. But when I was a teenager my mom bought me a good used car and I was responsible for all upkeep, gas, and insurance. I did learn the value of money and didn't feel spoiled.
    goldenfox

Answer by goldenfox at 3:56 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• My almost 14 year old and my husband are restoring a 1968 Barracuda convertible. If she wants to drive it, she will be responsible for her own gas and insurance.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:07 PM on Aug. 10, 2009