..No Diaper Changing In Daycare....

My 2 year old sons diaper wasn't changed at his daycare. I know because I marked his diaper before I dropped him off. He was only at the daycare for 4 hours, but it still frusterated me. When I dropped him off the next day, I pretty much reemed the lady in charge. Now I am wondering If I may have overreacted....I was just wondering if anyone knew what the laws are for diaper changing in daycare. And if anyone else has had issues with this at their daycare and how they dealt with it.

burning_woman

Asked by burning_woman at 3:32 PM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If he was just wet, I think you may have overreacted a bit. If he had pooped, that's an entirely different matter. I'm a SAHM and it's possible for my son to go 4 hour sometimes without a change if he's just wet. SInce he's over 2 and never had diaper rash, I've never seen it as a problem. Admittedly, I have no idea what the laws might be regarding day care.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:44 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I don't know anything about laws about diaper changing, but did he need to have his diaper changed. I know at 2 my boys could go hours without needing a change, so I wouldn't change them just because it had been a certain amount of time. Anyway if it needed to be changed then you didn't over-react, but if if didn't need changing then you may have over-reacted.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 3:45 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• and i think you probably already had some sort of other problem w/the daycare otherwise why would you have marked the diaper? unless this is something you think they were being lazy about, and once again, was the diaper just slightly wet, was it soaked and falling apart was it stinky or was it fine. alot of centers check them every hour or every other hour, but like i said, something tells me you already had a problem and were looking for more problems.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 3:50 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Ok, I used to work at a daycare, and BY LAW we were required to change every child's diaper before 2 hrs was up. Even if it just had a tiny drop of pee in it. Now, if he just didn't pee that would be a different story, but I can hardly see a toddle holding it for 4 hrs.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 4:04 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• typically (and this depends on the facility, state) a diaper is checked every two hours, unless noticable wet/smelly. But it's common for kids to got 4 hours with a dry diaper, or they can poop right afte you change their wet diaper!

Why did you mark it?

Honestly, either there was a problem, or i have to agree, you may be looking for one.
    citymama707

Answer by citymama707 at 4:06 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• srhmldndo... I can understand that law, it's there to make sure the needs are getting met. However, if i had my children in daycare and a diaper was wasted just becasue the time was up, i'd be upset about that, lol.

Although, it may not be the norm, but one of my girls started potty training at 2 (she wanted to) and she had dry diapers all day. By 21/2 she was in underware, with never an accident. She still only potty's a few times in a whole day. That's just her. (gosh, if only the other kids were easy!?!)
    citymama707

Answer by citymama707 at 4:12 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Ok that's something I didn't thing about. I didn't realize you said your child was 2. Is he potty training? Or still in diapers? If he is potty training, maybe he didn't need a change. Or was his diaper like so full it was sagging off of him? (If so he obviously needed a change at some point)
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 4:16 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• first off at 2 most are potty training and children who are in diapers still don't wet as often...so I don't think 4 hours is big deal unless his diaper was soaked through etc..
    Willywonka06

Answer by Willywonka06 at 4:25 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• at 2 they are not wetting as much as fast..that's about the time most start potty training because of this reason..they are able to respond talk a little etc so if the diaper was not that wet then I don't see the point in changing..but if it was sagging etc then obviously I would be upset.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:30 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Well, the day before I marked the diaper he had a diaper rash and poopy diaper when I picked him up. That is why I marked the diaper the next day. Other than the diaper thing, the day care he uses is very good.
    burning_woman

Answer by burning_woman at 4:35 PM on Aug. 10, 2009