I didn't like my daughters teacher

My dd started kindergarten today her teacher was so rude the first thing she said to my dd was to sit down and be quite .. she didn't even interduce herself to my husband and i matter fact she didn't speak to us at all ... I am really upset about how she acted by they way this is a private school and i pay good money for her to go there .What would you do my dd said she was mean would you pull your child out and put them in another school or give it some time and see what happens?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:34 PM on Aug. 10, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would give it some time. First days are hectic, and odds are she was frazzled to begin with.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 3:38 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I'd give it some time. In our schools they esp. tell the parents not to be coming to the classroom and trying to talk to the teacher etc. b/f class b/c they need to be focusing on the children and their safety.
    I understand being annoyed, esp. not to intro and say hello but there was prob. alot going on right at that moment.
    I'm surprised the school did not have a before the beg. of the school year orientation esp. for kindergarten.
    Give it 2 wks. to a month. Have other contact with the teacher etc. Don't let DD know you're not thrilled with the teacher and see how it goes.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 3:41 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• i agree, give it some time. why didn't they have an orientation for your child's first year of school? or at least a new student orientation since obviously you have never been to the school. and like the above poster said, don't let on to your daughter that you don't like the teacher, that just gives her a reason to not listen and to be tainted in her opinion towards her. and alot of kids first opinions of their teachers is that they are mean, she was used to being w/you or dad or whomever and doing what she wants. now shes in a group of a bunch of kids, with a stranger telling her what to do, so of course she isn't going to like her right away.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 3:47 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• i agree, give it some time. But, i would also speak to the teacher and explain your discomfort. Possibly, she was caught up in the rush of the first day and didn't realize she blew you off. Or, she could be a grumpy-butt, then i would speak to the principal. Is she the only kindergarten teacher at the school?

Your daughter may have been overwhelmed too. Just keep checking in with your daughter to see how whe is liking school (or not), but don't just assume everything is or isn't ok if she doesn't say anything.
    citymama707

Answer by citymama707 at 3:50 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• well sometimes on the first day the kindergarten teachers be stressed and trying to get to know the children and get them settled in well they have this thing with the moms an the dads so they try to get the moms and dads out of the room so the child wont start to cry or all these things are happening i think that you should trying to talk to the teacher after the first couple of weeks have passed i bet she will have a different attitude
    inlovewith4

Answer by inlovewith4 at 3:51 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• My dd went to pre k at this school and it only has one teacher per grade!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:55 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I am a teacher and I can tell you first days can be mind boggling! lol

I dont know this teacher so I would suggest to keep an eye open and watch what goes on the next few days! She may have just had a really bad morning or maybe she was frustrated...never know.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 3:58 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• You haven't met her teacher yet? You had no orientation at this school for new students? Wow. While I agree you should cut the teacher some slack, I think I would have went to another school since there was no orientation.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:18 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Give it some time, the first day of school is very hectic and mass confusion, especially for Kindergarten. Was there not an orientation or open house before school started?

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:01 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Our school doesn't allow the parents in the classroom, especially on the first day. I see nothing wrong with her telling your daughter to take a seat.
    Imagine, this poor teacher, with 30 kids, and 30 sets of teary eyed parents dropping off the baby for the first day.
    I would fault the school for poor "drop off" policy not the teacher
    say_tay

Answer by say_tay at 9:37 PM on Aug. 10, 2009