What can i tell my daughter about puberty

my daughter is now 10 she has boobs and every thing now and i think that her friend is going to start soon but i am not sure when but i dont want to wait to late to tell her what is going on with her body but i just dont know what to think or say to her i really need a little help

inlovewith4

Asked by inlovewith4 at 3:42 PM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• start by asking her what she knows, kids know alot more than we think they do now. so you may be surprised about what she knows. if the information she has is correct ask if she wants to know more or elaborate where you think it is needed. if its wrong correct it so she has the right information.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 3:43 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I agree with vabchmommy. She may have learned some things in school. Let her ask the questions and just go from there. Try not to make it scary. When my girls, now 12 and 16, started to develop their Dr. told me that between 18 and 24 months of seeing hair on their privates and underarms, is usually when the get their periods. And it was pretty much right on target. Also it can be very irregular when it starts. One dd got it in July and then not again till Jan. No girl likes, hell I don't like getting it! But it is important she have the correct information and not to be scared. Good luck!
    wallmom1

Answer by wallmom1 at 6:56 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I started talking to my daughter when she was about 10 and i never went into full details but would use words like your going to become a big girl and tell her that it happens to all girls so your not alone. I tried to explain things in a matter that she would accept and understand but wouldn't be embarrassed to talk about it. Then every so often I would ask are you a big girl yet. one day she came to me and told me yes now but don't tell dad. Every girl is different and how they take it and when they get it is all different too. Like the other 2 answers be sure you give her good info and tell her that it's important for her to come to you and not always believe the kids at school because they don't really know like you. Good luck.
    Midge06

Answer by Midge06 at 10:46 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I'd think about what you would of liked to know, when you went through all those changes. Teach her how to use a pad or tampon so when the time comes she doesn't freak out about what to do. I do agree with the previous post, ask her what she knows, i do know most school are starting to teach sex ed in grade school around 4-6 grade.
    vgiron

Answer by vgiron at 7:26 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• my son is turning 10 real soon, and he's already showing some signs...i researched educational,age appropriate books for him and ordered them from amazon. when we got them i sat down with him and said, "you're starting to grow up and turn into a man and i thought it would help if you had some answers for your questions". he was very receptive, and read them on his own. i left it open for him to discuss if he wanted, but he seemed really comfortable with that approach. look into it, it really is alot of help, and they are very age-approriate, you can even find them at bookstores, so you can flip through and see for yourself.
    amber0678

Answer by amber0678 at 4:30 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• What should you tell her? EVERYTHING. Don't hold anything back. This is not a topic you can skimp on.

Remember, it should be an open discussion, not a talk. Keep an open mind and listen to her.

How you frame the puberty conversations will influence how you later discuss things like relationships, sex, birth control, and pregnancy options.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 7:48 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• on tv. these women where throwing puburity partys for the girls to learn and teach them in a group about the facts of life lika slumber party thing i thought that was cute and informational and it better for the girls cuz they get comfortable around each other and relax more and they will talk about more and theres sure to be at least on girl in the girl to ask questions that other might be scared to ask and that maybe the moms didnt even think off... hey its worht the try and today girls are getting their friend at ages 9 and up
    mommiediap

Answer by mommiediap at 1:04 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• just be honest she old enough to know. start by telling her the basics and ask her if she if she has any questions.
    there are books about how to talk to a child about sex & puberty at the library.
    I think she old enough to tell her everything before another child tells her.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 5:28 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Ask her what she knows. Kids really do know more than we give them credit to knowing. Ask her if she has any questions or concerns, and just be there for her and try to relate to her. Both of my girls found the american girl book "The Care and Keeping of You" and most Lynda Madaras books helpful. The best thing you can do is be the best mom possible.
    LeviM

Answer by LeviM at 8:06 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• I agree with the mom's recommending the American Girl book "the Care and Keeping of You" and to keep the conversation going...not a one time talk. The more comfortable YOU are, the better SHE will adjust to this time in her life. Good Luck!
    momrocks1000

Answer by momrocks1000 at 11:52 AM on Aug. 19, 2009