For moms who don't allow their children around unvaccinated children....

Do you realize public schools allow for exemptions? How do you ensure your child is only around vaccinated children? Very curious here....no fighting ladies.

ColleenF30

Asked by ColleenF30 at 3:54 PM on Aug. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• ewwwww why would I want my child around unvaccinated children.. I mean they might make them sick or something...

Just kidding!! But those people who say crap like that need to be smacked. I mean common sense tells you , you vaccinate your child to prevent illnesses for your child.. So whats the big deal if you are convinced the vaccinations are done to prevent illness why is it bad for your child to be around someone who isn't vaccinated?
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 5:46 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• my kids will go to private only school and i had to show proof of vaccinations before she could get into their preschool even
    anarose26

Answer by anarose26 at 3:57 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• you can't be sure. Of coarse public schools allow for exemptions, so do some daycares and other places. But there are some daycares (home or private) that require all kids to be immunized. That's basically the only way you can know, until they go to school.
    citymama707

Answer by citymama707 at 3:58 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• you do have to show proof of vax at public schools as well, however if you have chosen not to vax all you have to do is fill out a form at the office. so just b/c its a private school doesn't mean that all the kids are vax'd same w/the preschool, daycares are the same way. no one can REQUIRE that your child be vax'd. so that means all the other kids may not be. (i'm curious about the answer to this question too)
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 3:59 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• DH's ex-wife lied and got her son into high school without being up to day just by saying that she didn't vax him for religious reasons.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:02 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• A private school CAN prevent a kid from attending if they are not vaccinated. They do NOT have to allow an unvaccinated kid in. A private daycare can require it, too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:04 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I belive in vaccinating, my 3 kids are all vaxed. I do belive it is a personal choice, and I do not bash or judge others who choose not to. My sons schools do have exempt forms and chances are my kids have been around non-vaxed kids. frankly I don't see how anyone can tell if a child is vaxed or not (barring asking the parents)-- it is not like it is tattooed on the kids foreheads. Personally it is very low on my list of concerns.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 4:17 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I had to sign a religious exemption when I refused to get my daughters the chicken pox booster, the school knew I wasn't signing it for religious reasons and they didn't care they just needed that piece of paper.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 4:17 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• My kid is vaccinated, so I'm not worried. If anyone would get sick, it would be the unvaccinated kid, not mine.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 4:18 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Bridget, I bow down and worship your common sense. Thank you. That is the point to a vaccination, and it's so nice to see someone remember that!

Yes, a private school can deny you entrance. But most don't. If keeping your child away from unvaccinated kids is a high priority, besides keeping them home after school, never taking them to a park, etc, you might want to check with your private school to see if they actually don't let them in.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 4:24 PM on Aug. 10, 2009