Is my baby walking okay?

My son began walking on his own at 8 1/2 months. He is almost 11 months now. When he walks the outer sides of his feet roll against the floor. As opposed to walking on the bottom of his feet. This causes him to trip and fall a lot. I thought after a few months of walking he would improve. He has been wearing hard soled shoes for about a month now. This helps him keep his balance and walk properly. He doesn't fall down with the shoes on but as soon as they come off down he goes. Can anyone relate to this? Should he see a doctor or will it just take time as he grows to correct itself.

tresa2steppin

Asked by tresa2steppin at 4:06 PM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He should be walking barefooted, not in shoes and you should talk to the doctor if you are that concerned.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:11 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I agree with anon, that he should not be wearing hard soled shoes, although I understand why you want him to wear them. Hard soled shoes mold the baby's foot growth to the show. You can put him in moccasin-type shoes with a soft bottom or just socks. When he sits, are his feet curled in? Can you straighten them while he is sitting? It sounds like a developmental issue with the way he's growing, so I'd talk to your pediatrician. There's probably some exercises you can do to help.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 6:16 PM on Aug. 10, 2009