I had a WIC appointment today and they asked me why i've gained so much weight

and i've been in a sour mood ever since. i gained 14 pounds in two months, i'm seven months pregnant and have gained 18 pounds thus far in my pregnancy.

i doubt its diabetes, its just that i'm hungry a lot and eating a lot, and i'm also exhausted and not getting a lot of exercise.

i am definitely getting sick of comments on my weight though. have some manners in public with pregnant people.

uhm, i need a question now. oh, do you think i've gained too much? all in all i'm right on track, i just gained most of it in the last two months.

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 4:14 PM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• By 7 months I'd gained 25 pounds, so no I doubt you have. The nutritionist at the WIC office though is usually pretty harsh about weight gain. They have a very strict chart they follow that is supposed to tell them exactly how much, and if you differ from that at all then they will say something. I ignored them pretty much bc I knew it was MY body and MY weight and MY baby was healthy. I figure its my experience and every pregnancy is different and won't always fit on a chart! I would ignore any comments from random people as well- I've had my fair share so far as well. My baby is already measuring really big (last apt. 8pounds) although I've only gained 30 pounds now at 40 weeks 3 days and people keep asking me if I'm having triplets! Grr lol!
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 4:21 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I think WIC just overreacts. I had an appt at the end of July and the lady was angry because Im 20 weeks and havent gained anything. She was actually lecturing me on how diets are bad for the baby and such. I was like "look lady I eat like a horse. You cant catch me without something in my mouth.. Im not on a diet at all!" she was pissssssssssssed at me
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:19 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Not a bit! I gained 60 lbs during my pregnancy and my doctor never said a word to me. People are mean, so I am sorry that you had your feelings hurt! Girl, you enjoy every day of your pregnancy..and eat all the yummy stuff you want, soon enough you'll feel better and will become more active, so don't worry about it!
    People kept asking me if I was only having one baby! Sometimes they just don't think that it may hurt your feelings, or sometime (women) are just mean and jealous! So you go you beautiful pregnant lady! You are doing great, so keep doing what you're doing!
    Julians_Momma

Answer by Julians_Momma at 4:19 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Tell them to kiss your pregnant ass. Thats just RUDE! I gained 40LBS! so your doing GREAT!
    Anonymous

• I think your weight sounds fine my sis is 9 months pregnant and wic said she was underweight but her doc said she was fine .. so i think wic people are just stupid dont worry on less your doc says too!!
    lizzysmom83

Answer by lizzysmom83 at 4:20 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Id say because im pregnant, whats ur excuse?
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 4:23 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• That is just silly. I personally gain most of my pregnancy weight near the end, that is when the baby is growing and gaining weight the most! Oy, I am sure you're doing great! And keep eating! Your baby and you need the nutrition. You're doing great.
    LisaPisa

Answer by LisaPisa at 4:23 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• thank you guys very very much, i know its ridiculous but its put me in tears today and i got invited to a dinner tonight and actually thought about not going because i dont know what they're going to cook.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:28 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• wic people are just dumb. I gained 12 pounds with my last pregnancy and they told me I had gained too much. They put me on low fat milk. My dr actually wanted me to gain more.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 4:30 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Dont listen to them! They did that to me with my 1st. This one they haven't said much about my weight gain but they have argued with me about my first daughter being lactose intolorent and who am I to say she can't drink milk! I told the lady her REAL DOCTOR told her that she can't. My husband looked like he wanted to hit her. We don't go to that office anymore. lol
    MizAnn

Answer by MizAnn at 5:48 PM on Aug. 10, 2009