When to switch from crib to toddler bed?

My DD is 14 months old and has alread started to climb out of her crib. Today I went to get her from her nap just to find her sitting in her rocking chair with her blankie and a book. I feel she may be too young for a toddler bed but if her climbing out of her crib is going to injure her I might need to. Any suggestions? Please help!

usmcwife05

Asked by usmcwife05 at 4:22 PM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Have you adjusted the crib to the lowest setting? 14 months seems really small to me. My little girl is 14 months and I can't imagine her crawling out of the crib yet! That must have be scary!!!! But I have always heard that when they start climbing out of the crib it was time for the toddler bed. Good luck!
    Frogbaby83

Answer by Frogbaby83 at 4:25 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• All my kids have switched before they were 18 months. Well, the first was probably about 18 months, and my second was 15 months. Our daughter will probably be around 15 months when we switch her. It is just a matter of teaching them to stay in the bed until it is time to get up. We started with nap time for all of them. A baby monitor is great to use too - you can hear them if they get out of bed.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 4:26 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• It's definitely time. If she's able to climb out of her crib, then she can EASILY get out and into a toddler bed when needed. My son was moved to a toddler bed when he was 11 months. Now at 20 months, he sleeps in a regular twin bed because he refuses to sleep in his racecar bed I bought him :(
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 4:26 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• wait as long as you possibly can!!! Seriously I switched my dd when she was 2 and I swear I have been up till at least 3 every morning trying to get her to STAY in her bed!!! lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:26 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• With my middle son, I had to switch him early than I wanted to about 18 months if I remember correctly. I felt the same way you do, if she is climbing out of the crib then it's safer to have her in a toddler bed. Even if she rolls out she is closer to the floor.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 4:32 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Get her out of the crib. My cousin broke her leg climbing out of her crib! Snapped that sucker right in two!!

Either a toddler or regular bed. Who says she's too little? Mine were all in regular beds at 15 months.

Besides, from experience I can say that the earlier you switch, the easier it is!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:37 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Yes her bed has been at the lowest setting for about 3 months now, but she can get her leg up and over. I'm just conserned. Seeing all the great answers I think it may be time to switch. She has already had a broken leg this summer from falling off my husbands shoulders so we definitly don't want/need another. Thank you all so much for your answers
    usmcwife05

Answer by usmcwife05 at 4:42 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I switched both my kids at 14 months old and they both did excellent. I feel its the perfect age for switching to a toddler bed... if she can climb and walk, she can sleep in a toddler bed.
    MamaBuggy

Answer by MamaBuggy at 6:03 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• i put dd in a toddler bed at 18 mts. i was preggo and she needed to get out of the crib
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 6:22 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Personally, I am waiting for my 29month old until he starts climbing out of his crib before I do a toddler bed but since your DD's already climbing out of bed I would say now's a perfect time to make the switch. For ME I wouldn't want my son to get hurt climbing out of bed.
    EBeauty03

Answer by EBeauty03 at 8:07 PM on Aug. 10, 2009