How close are you with your kids?

i feel like we just cant connect, they are still young and i know they love me and that i love them but we dont really connect..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:25 PM on Aug. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• Part of it is probably age. You will never connect with young children under school age by bringing them into your world. You have to go to them. Watch kids tv with them, sing the dorky song with them, color with them, build with lego's, read to them, be a kid with them. As they get older they will come into your world more and more.

I have a wonderful relationship with my kids. My oldest is 14 and my twins are 11. We talk, giggle, do all kinds of girly stuff, and some not so girly stuff.

You don't have to be totally touchy feely but kids needs physical affection.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 5:33 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I think we go through stages. I will be close with one then another at different times. My DD and I have never been very close but as she gets older and I learn how to treat her more like her age, I think we are getting closer.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 4:29 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Do you have family dinners? What do you talk about?

Answer by rkoloms at 5:04 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• yes, we do dinner everynight around the table, i just feel funny when they want hugs and i dont feel like im a mama type, and they are 2 and 6 yrs old, i just cant do it, i feel more like an aunt or something to them and they are mine totally.. im so lost a this..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:20 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• My son and I were closer when he was younger. Now he is 9 and he spends more time with dad. That is ok. We still hug and give kisses and still spend days together so we have a balance.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 6:13 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I am very close to my kids and they to me. My mother was and is still one of my best friends too. I agree with teamquinn. If you want to be closer to them, the best way to do that is to try to see the world through their eyes and connect with them on their level.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 6:17 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• My 13 month old and I are as close as a mother and daughter could ever be.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:44 PM on Aug. 10, 2009