Post-partum stitches...

I had to have an episiotomy after my daughter was born. I was in the bathroom with my nurse, who was helping me get on the toilet, and I asked her how many stitches I had ( just out of curiosity because I wanted an idea ) and she said, "Three. Would you like to see them?" LOL I couldn't believe that! I looked her in the eye and said, "Yeah! Then we can eat the placenta together over a candlelight dinner!" lol she told me that a lot of moms want to look....but why would anybody want to see that???? Seriously???? War-zone crotch???? LOL did anybody else's nurse ask them this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:26 PM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• No, but I looked a couple days later at home. It freaked me out. My doctor wouldn't even tell me how many stitches which annoyed me, and I couldn't tell when I looked, it just looked like a big torn up mess. I also didn't even find out I had an episiotomy until I was getting ready to push out my second baby and the doctor told me to stop that I had an old episiotomy scar and he would have to do another one or it would tear worse or something. (I thought I had torn with the first) I'm not very pleased with that first doctor.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 4:56 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I hate to say it mybella81 but your second doctor lied too. You didn't need a second episotomy (nor the first). Patience was all you would have neeeded. You likely wouldn't have torn at all, and it certainly wouldn't have been as deep of a cut as they do when they use scissors.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 5:06 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• if you look at it then you could get an idea of how it looks when it's 'normal' so if you think one came out or they are getting infected or anything you would know what to compare it to. why would you think that's nasty or gross? it's your stitches and you're supposed to take care of them. thank goodness you didn't have to get a c-section or you probably would have died of infection bc you would not check the incision
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 5:44 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I personally do not want to be cut or sown up or any of that.. I am not good with needles and just thinking about it makes me want to cry
    SweetPea102689

Answer by SweetPea102689 at 7:00 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Princess, if I had to have a C-section I'd have to look at my incision to take care of it. But with an episiotomy, you don't have to look. You can just use caution and wear witch hazel pads, depends, whatever you need down there and everything will heal just fine. but thanks for implying that I would die of infection.....that was soo intelligent :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on Aug. 11, 2009