Does anyone know of a natural remedy for excessive spit-up?

Hello. My daughter is 4 months old and has always been a very spitty baby. Since she is so young, I don't want to give her any medicine for it, but would love to find a natural remedy for her excessive spit-up. Can you help?!!!? Thanks!

Montana_Mommy

Asked by Montana_Mommy at 4:37 PM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My friend who works with infant stimulation, always suggests feeding the baby in a more upright postion and allowing the baby to sit up for a good 10 to 15 minutes after eating. Not sure how good of a burper she is..... But at least she is old enough now you can start to mix some rice cereal in with her milk-formula.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 4:42 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• When my daughter was a month old my doctor had me give her probiotics for her reflux/spitting up. He had just gone to a conference where they gave all this new information about probiotics and he was really excited about it. It was really hard to give since she didn't take a bottle, and I'm not entirely sure if it worked or not because I didn't use it much. It's safe to give though and an alternative to medicine. He had me get a kind called culturelle, I had to get it at a vitamin type store. They came in capsules that I would open and mix with a little bit of water, it didn't taste bad at all, it's just really hard to give anything to a breastfed baby who won't take a bottle.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 4:49 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Is she just spitting up or does she have reflux? If ti's reflux, please reconsider meds to help her with her pain and help her keep her food down.

If it's just spitting up a lot...smaller meals, more often. Keep her upright for at least 20 minutes after a feeding. You can consider starting cereal (bowl and spoon) at a feeding just to help bulk her food up so it stays down easier. (sometimes also a recommended treatment for reflux)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:01 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Give her less formula more often, Make sure she is sitting upright during feedings and up to 15-20 minutes after feeding, make sure to burp her often during the feeding and too you can start mixing cereal in with her bottles as the other mama's have said.

My son has severe GERD and I had to do all of the above plus he was on zantac and another medication from the time he was a week old. .if that is what it is you may have to medicate her, I know it's hard and not something you want to do but if it is infact reflux not only does it cause spitting up but they usually are in alot of pain and can cause damage to the esophagus if not treated.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 5:44 PM on Aug. 10, 2009