My poor baby!

My DD is almost one. She has had diarrhea for 3 days...mostly at night and has gotten a horrible diaper rash from it. I have tried Desitin and leaving the diaper off. Any advice? Also how can I get the diarrhea to stop? Im worried about dehydration and have been giving her water but can she have pedialyte? I hate this!!!

Lauren24

Asked by Lauren24 at 4:45 PM on Aug. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• she can have pedialyte. there is probably no way to stop the diarrhea. the diaper rash can be treaed with a oatmeal bath or baking soda bath. my 2 month old was the same a week ago the dr gave me a pedialyte sample for her.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 4:49 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Call and ask her pediatrician for their policy. At one year, I would think she could at least have diluted pedialyte- what does it say on the container (or ask the doctor.) Gosh I don't know about the rash, Desitin is what I used. I hope the poor little one feels better soon.

Answer by Bmat at 4:51 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Stick to the B.R. A. T. diet. B=bananas, R=rice, A=apples, T=toast
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 4:52 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• also they told me to give my 2 1/2 year old banana apple sauce raisins toast or pretzels to keep him on a light diet till he was feeling better.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 4:52 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• The only thing that helps my little girl with really bad diaper rash is Dr smith's ointment. I had tried everything and this stuff is the only thing that works.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:56 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• there is a really great product called calmoseptine ointment. You get it from the pharmacist but it's OTC. It's really really really thick so works very well to protect the bottom from getting worse. It stings when you first put it on, but like the other creams, really does help soothe. I think it's got the same basic ingredients as the other creams. Ask the doc if they think it's OK for your child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:58 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Don't use diaper rash cream when a child has a bad diaper rash.. It burns so bad (next time you have a burn or something similar put some on it and see how bad it is.) Use aquaphor or something similar.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 5:59 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Hi there, here in Australia we have Pinetarsol - you would have a similar product there pine tar solution to add to bath etc. It is fantastic stuff. Add some to a luke warm bath and sit her in it. You can use it neat straight on the skin and it reduces inflammation, redness and itchiness, and doesn't sting. Keep it in you change area and when changing a nappy, clean her up, then hold a soaked cotton ball or soft flannel against the inflamed areas for around five minutes- you can use it as many times as you like. I found lots of nappy free time is helpful- good quality disposables will help keep moisture off her sore botty, a nappy cream with panthenol will soothe as well, we have Bepanthen - and tattoo artists get their clients to put it on after artwork to soothe and protect the skin. Poor baby, hope she feels better soon. Take care
    Hugs
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 6:17 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Ask your Dr. for some Butt-paste,and leave the diaper open,also give her pedialyte,make sure you notify her Dr., babies can get dehydrated very quickly,especially in the summer months. I hope she feel better soon.

lady-t3984

Answer by lady-t3984 at 8:26 PM on Aug. 10, 2009