Potty Training (girl)

When did you all start potty training? My DD is 14 months old and kinda want to get an early start. We bought her a big girl potty last week and she has gone a total of 4 times when we put her on it. Is it too early?

usmcwife05

Asked by usmcwife05 at 4:46 PM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• YEP ....SOME PARENTS THINK YOU HAVE A CERTAIN DEADLINE YOU HAVE TO POTTY TRAIN BY OR BEFORE....SHE WILL LET YOU KNOW WHEN SHE'S READY!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:48 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I started my DD at 11 months, we didnt pressure her though. We knew it was early but wanted to get her used to it rather than just pushing her into it when she was older. She is 20 months now and is doing AMAZING on the potty issue, still no pressure but we are letting her train her self and she is doing fantastic. I say go ahead and start her but dont put pressure on her!
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 4:50 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• It just depends if she is ready, if she is showing interest and show signs of being ready then go for it. Don't push the issue on her she needs to be the one that is ready for the big girl step. JMO I think 14 months is still too early.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:52 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I accidentally started my daughter at 9 months before she was crawling. She was constipated and we put her on the toilet. Well, she started only doing stinks in the toilet and then started wetting too. Now at 10 months she goes on the toilet 60 to 70% of the time. I believe you can potty train at any age - it may just take a little longer for the child to figure out what they need to do. And it is not parent-training (as some people call it), especially when the child holds it through nap or bed time! Go for it! Less diapers - that's my goal! LOL!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 4:53 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Thanks. After every diaper change we hold her hand and walk to the potty. She sits down and we sing the ABC's twice. When she stands up than normally it means shes had enough. Yeah I also don't believe in pressuring her. One day at a time. lol
    usmcwife05

Answer by usmcwife05 at 5:09 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Well, I believe in all or nothing when it comes to changes like potty training, toddler bed, etc... I think "easing" into it just confuses the child and leads the way for more trouble and possible regression. I do not potty train until I know my child is ready and is showing enough signs of being capable to potty train, and then I introduce the potty and use the naked all day/just undies trick for the first 2 days (not at bedtime obviously) and never go back to diapers besides at bedtime until they grasp that concept. I trained my son at 23 months old and he trained right away with only #2 accidents which he got under control in 3 days.
    MamaBuggy

Answer by MamaBuggy at 6:01 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Its only too early if she's not showing signs of readiness. If she's gone 4 times and is showing interest, then keep on with it. If she's not liking it, then put the potty away and try later. After my son not being potty trained until 4 and my daughter who just turned 2, fully potty trained, I am fully convinced that they do it when they're ready and no amount of bribing, charts, stickers, will work unless they are ready. Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:11 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• i stared my dd at 18 mts. she was potty train by 2 yrs. she is 29 mts has and occasional accident but she is preatty good about letting me or her dad know if she has to go to the potty
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 6:20 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I am just starting my daughters today! (21 months old) I know there are some good checklists out there to help you.

http://www.babycenter.com/0_potty-training-readiness-checklist_4384.bc

this is a great one from baby center. :)

We bought my daughters pottys at 14 months, and they got used to them, and went a couple of times on them, but couldn't tell me when they had to go, so they would get burned out quickly! Hopefully it goes well for us both!
    mumof2wins

Answer by mumof2wins at 6:40 PM on Aug. 10, 2009