How to get my 4 year old to listen to me?

Ok, my four year old son...he listens to his dad. Me? Ha! He won't help clean up his toys that he drags into the living room. I have tried time outs, I have tried putting up his "fun stuff" which are watching his DVDs, or playing outside, or whatever the case is. I ask him to pick up a lego off the floor, so I can vacuum, and he laughs at me. I maybe coddled (sp?) a little too much, but now, I am cleaning up after a 4 year old and a 28 year old (DH). Any advice?

ImNotBr0ken

Asked by ImNotBr0ken at 4:46 PM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Children learn by example. If you are cleaning up after DH, he's setting the example for your 4yr old. Teach them both to clean up after themselves.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 4:49 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Get rid of his things. Maybe not literaly throw them away, but hide them. Then he can get things back slowly for good behavior. Its what my mom does. I have a 4 year old sister.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 4:54 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• How do you interact with your 4 year old? The buddy? The mother? You must draw the line in parenting..regardless as to what he does and doesn't do with Dad, what you say should stil matter...he's only 4 now, if you don't get a hold to the problem now, you'll only have issues later on! 4 years old not minding! Huh! This is hilarious!
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 4:55 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• ok seriously. I entirely agree with the previous poster.

PUT ON YOUR I AM THE BOSS PANTS.... AND PREPARE FOR SEVERL DAYS OF SEVERE PARENTING..

*INCLUDING*

LITTERALLY PUTTING NEW RULES ON YOUR FRIDGERATOR, AND READ THEM TO YOUR CHILD.. MAKE SURE THEY ARE RULES YOU CAN LIVE BY BECAUSE HE WON'T FOLLOW ANY RULES HE SEES YOU NOT OBEYING.

AND THEN LITTERALLY EVERY SINGLE TIME HE DOESN'T OBEY YOU ON THE FIRST TIME YOU SPEAK PUT HIM IN TIME OUT FOR 10 MINS EACH TIME.

WHEN HE IS ABOUT TO GET OUT HAVE HIM APPOLOGIZE TO YOU FOR NOT LISTENING TO YOU AND HAVE HIM GIVE YOU A HUG..... **WARNING HE WILL REBEL BUT IF YOU DON'T WIN THIS BATTLE NOW.. IMAGINE WHAT 14-18 WILL LOOK LIKE!!!!**

MAKEMYDAY101

Answer by MAKEMYDAY101 at 7:11 PM on Aug. 10, 2009