What part of having a baby is the most expensive?

Where does the cost come from? If you can breastfeed then that's free, if you can't most of your formula can come from WIC, a crib can be found for unde 20 dollars, mattresses are given away a lot, then there's clothes but onesies are 99 cents at the goodwill- on sale days they are .49 cents.

so is it just diapers and wipes that make babies cost money? and the fact that mom will lose income?

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 5:18 PM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• The hospital bill!!!! LOL! We figure that is our major cost. I breastfeed and often use cloth diapers - so little cost there. Although now that our boys are toddlers, they eat as much as teenagers. I am honestly NOT kidding, people are amazed!!! My MIL tells me that is how my husband ate. I have already decided when they are older they will get jobs and have to buy any food they want to eat other than meal times. LOL!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 5:25 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• The part that has me thinking its expensive, beside diapers and wipes, is all the little toys, play sets, and such. LOL I just want my baby to have everything because I know my childhood wasnt filled with luxuries and I want diff for my baby.

But If you really think about it all of the stuff beside diapers, wipes, carseat, clothing, blankets is all extra, but I want extra for my LO when he's here.

So no babies arent expensive, its when they get older it gets expensive with sports, extra curricular activities, maybe designer clothes, etc.
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 5:24 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• The hospital, doctor appts. (at two weeks then for shots up until adulthood), the car seats, health insurance etc. Then you have to factor in that it may not be a cost like $ cost, but you lose sleep, sanity etc..

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't give up my DS & DD, however, considering neither were expected, I think we have done ok.
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 5:25 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Oh yess. May I add If you dont even qualify for wic or any extra help it does get expensive with what PP says. My mom is covering my health insurance plan until my hubby thinks he can do it on his own without my incme, since mine isnt promised and is seasonal anyway, and its a 5k premium 750 per month for health insurance. Yes I could always do medi-cal for him but I like my insurance and hospital and medical is not excepted there. but if i had to i would
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 5:28 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• the baby isn't going to remember if it had expensive toys lol

and yeah medical bills, it sounds like i'm getting a really good deal on this pregnancy with the fact that i'm unmarried and low low income.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 5:31 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• even if you are on wic and get formula through them you will still have to buy extra formula and that adds up really quick. but yes, diapers, wipes and medical bills are the big expenses
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 5:40 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• You can get cloth diapers on freecycle, craigslist, ebay, and at second hand shops and garage sales.

IMHO, the most expensive item is college.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:42 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• LOL rkoloms! But not for us. Our poor kids - we paid our way through college and they will too! I never understood the estimates for what a baby cost in the first year! They are SO high. I think I read that the majority of it is childcare, diapers, and formula (and doesn't include the hospital bills). So if you don't use child care, breastfeed, and use cloth, your cost in the first year is very low. Once you pay the hospital!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 5:44 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Where can you find a crib for under 20 dollars? A safe one, that is? **grin**

We co-slept anyway.

Babies really are cheap. The expenses are the utilities (takes a lotta water to wash those disposables) and insurance and child care if you cannot stay home.

WIC wasn't even a remote possibility for us. The earnings threshhold was far too low.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:50 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Probably just diapers lol For L&D you can be on Medicaid if you qualify and its free, or if you have regular insurance you have to pay a copay and probably like 20% of the bill so that can be expensive...But like you said, breastfeedings free or you can get WIC for formula, you can get nice clothes at Goodwill or consignment shops and then you can find cribs, bassinets, etc at yard sales or flea markets...I know in the county I live in you can go to the police station and they'll give you a brand new car seat...nothing fancy but its free :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:53 PM on Aug. 10, 2009