Anyone take meds for anxiety? Need advice-

If so, what kind and does it help?

Futuregirlzone

Asked by Futuregirlzone at 5:19 PM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Health

• klonopin....do they work yes but they are not long lasting which means that in 6 hrs they will run out and you have to take more and the side effects are that they make you sleepy.sometimes they are used for sleeping pills/i used to take emiphrimine which was long lasting with no side effectsbut i became immuned to them,.i used to take rispodal but had a terrible alergic reaction.i mean i was int the hospital cat scans and my whole skeletal system was shutting down so i became hunched over.a very smart dr figured this out and it wasnt my therapist.needless to say i am afraid to take anything else///
    nana77500

Answer by nana77500 at 5:27 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I took anti-depressants when I was 16. I wouldn't recommend them. Try other methods in relieving your stress and try to get to the root of the problem.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 5:27 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Taking these meds without therapy is like taking painkillers for a broken leg without getting a cast.

I strongly recommend going to the library and picking up a copy of No More Panic by Claire Weeks.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:40 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• When I had severe anxiety/panic attacks, I did take Klonopin. They do work. For me they did not put me to sleep. I could take 2 a day and be fairly free from the anxiety, but that was with therapy once or twice a week. I highly recommend you go to a therapist (psychologist/psychiatrist, which ever can prescribe meds). The Klonopin is fairly fast acting. It kind of makes you where you don't worry about things. You feel very relaxed but are still aware of what is going on around you, still very capable of interacting with your children and going out and doing things. I do not advocate medicine as a permanent option or the only option. Medicine, for a short time, while combined with therapy where they teach you calming and relaxation techniques is one of the best combinations I have found. You are able to relax enough to really work on ways of calming yourself in anxiety provoking situations. PM me if you want more info or talk.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 6:19 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I take Xanax as need for panic and anxiety attacks. Most of the time I can do deep breathing or exercise to get out of the attacks, but sometimes the only thing that helps is the meds. There is nothing to be ashamed about either.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:20 PM on Aug. 10, 2009