I have a cold...

So I have had a cold the last few days. Runny/stuffy nose, cough, sore throat, headache. i am 18 weeks pregnant, which of course means that tylenol cold and other cold meds are out. Any suggestions on something that will help me clear this congestion so I can sleep?

rhianna1708

Asked by rhianna1708 at 5:24 PM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Hot steamy shower and vicks vapor rub
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 5:26 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I always like to drink tea to help with that sort of thing. You just have to make sure the kind out drink is ok during pregnancy
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 5:28 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• My doctor told me I could take Tylenol Cold & Sinus and Benadryl. I opted to just take regular Tylenol and about 3 tsp of Children's Benadryl...did the trick for me. I also used a Neti Pot to help relieve congestion during the the day.
    Kimposible

Answer by Kimposible at 5:28 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• my ob also told me i could take tylenol cold & sinus when i had a cold (i was about 30 weeks or so)
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 5:35 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• My doc said to take sudafed, regular strength. I would call and get their advice before you take anything.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 5:36 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• you don't need to take cold medicine when you are sick..... vaporizor or saline nose spray, vitamin c and rest will make you better
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 5:37 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Peppermint tea is great! Peppermint is a natural decongestant; just be sure that peppermint is the only ingredient.
    Honey (antibacterial) and cayenne pepper (anti-inflammatory) is the best cough syrup.throat soother.
    Emergen-C will help you stay hydrated and give you an energy boost; be sure to mix it with cold water. The lowest price is at Trader Joes, though it is sold just about everywhere (Target, Walgreens, etc.).
    I am a big believer in the power of foods. This healing foods pyramid from the University of Michigan is great: http://www.med.umich.edu/umim/food-pyramid/index.htm
    Most important, stay well hydrated!
    Feel better

Answer by rkoloms at 5:39 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• yes childrens cold&allergy elixre, can get at walmart cheap. i took when i was pregnant for same thing and a cough works really good for ear aches too. good luck. feel better
    momof3102

Answer by momof3102 at 5:45 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• vitamin c
    trelimon

Answer by trelimon at 6:36 PM on Aug. 10, 2009