is anyone teaching they're kid to read before they start kindergarten?

momluja

Asked by momluja at 5:29 PM on Aug. 10, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Both of my children read before kindergarten. I believe that the more that they know, the more they can learn. :)

Answer by Bmat at 5:30 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• How did you teach them
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:31 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• My daughter was reading at four, but we didn't really teach her. We read to her a lot, and labeled everything in the house: door, window, etc.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:37 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• mine couldn't READ but they recognized some letters and their names and words but we've got a LOT of books in our house and I'm always reading.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 5:48 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I think its all pushed on kids too early when i started kindergarten i could read alittle but we mostly focused on our abcs and sharing
    SaturnsMom

Answer by SaturnsMom at 6:21 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• My daughter started reading very simple books with sentences like "The fat cat sat on a mat" when she was 3. She's getting ready to turn 5 this week and has been reading on what I would guess to be a 2nd or 3rd grade level for the better part of a year. She's not a genius and I did not have to spend a lot of time working with her to do this, although I definately put a lot of thought into how to instruct her and set aside a small amount of time each day to work with her. It helped that she enjoys doing it, and it was never a struggle. I know the popular view is not to rush it, and I certainly wouldn't be worried if your child hasn't learned to read yet. But honestly I think teaching her to read was the best thing I could do. She loves reading and I buy her a lot of non-fiction easy readers. It's amazing what she has learned just from reading on her own.
    lovemydivas

Answer by lovemydivas at 7:22 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I am going to be home-schooling my 5 year old this year for kinder. He can read a little already, mostly 3 or 4 letter words. I have a phonics program that I will be doing with him, and I plan on doing it with his little brother, who is 3, also. If his brother learns how to read early that's great, but I'm not going to push it. I mostly want to use the phonics program to help him with his speech. He has a significant speech delay, and I think learning phonics will help him. Due to his weekly speech therapy, he already recognizes all his letters and sounds, and can even blend two sounds together, so I think he may be ready to learn how to read as well.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 8:00 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• yes and no. he learned at three, and we homeschool.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 8:41 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• how did you teach them?

he learned all his phonics through Leapfrog's fridge magnet letter set, the docking base plays a little song for each letter you put in telling its name and sound.we reinforced this learning with games: find the letter B on a sign, or find things in the house that start with the s sound.

then I got him this set of books . each one focuses on a single short vowel sound: The cat sat on the mat.

from there, he was pretty much self taught. I remember telling him that i-g-h-t says "ite" and he went to websites like starfall for more practice. the sprout website has good games for pre and early readers, too.

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 8:54 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• We're working on it now.
    DaphneMae

Answer by DaphneMae at 9:03 PM on Aug. 10, 2009