i am starting to supplment with formula soon for my one month old who has only been strictly breastfed. She has colic in the afternoon any formula suggestions??

xlauralu122x

Asked by xlauralu122x at 5:33 PM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I always used Similac + Iron, it seemed to work for my kids!
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 5:35 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Why are you adding formula? This is the slipperly slope to giving up breastfeeding long before the recommended two year minimum.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:35 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Whatever YOUR BABY will take. If any. Be advised that formula doesn't fix "colic," which is merely a medical term for "we don't know why the baby is crying but we must have a medical term."

Afternoon to evening fussiness is NORMAL and best practice is to just leave baby at the breast. The danger you run with going to formula is depriving your body of the signal to make milk. Next thing you know, you're dropping by the breastfeeding moms group saying your supply is low...and then we'll tell you to dump the formula.

This fussiness WILL pass. Time is the cure.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:39 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Why is it ANY of YOUR business why she is giving it up or more to the point (if read completly-it says supplimenting-meaning NOT EXCLUSIVE!) I didn't BF mine for two years and my kids are VERY healthy, VERY smart and VERY well rounded! ARE YOU THE BF POLICE?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:40 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• "Why is it ANY of YOUR business why she is giving it up or more to the point (if read completly-it says supplimenting-meaning NOT EXCLUSIVE!) I didn't BF mine for two years and my kids are VERY healthy, VERY smart and VERY well rounded! ARE YOU THE BF POLICE?"

No, we're the Militant Breastfeeding Cult. Please get it right.

**grin**

Nobody was saying anything about YOUR KIDS. Your kids are not part of this equation.

I understood what the OP said and am not going to question her. I just want to be sure she's got full disclosure of the possible problems through supplementation, and she needs to know what she' s going through is SO normal you're weird if it DOESN'T happen to you. **smile8*

Answer by gdiamante at 5:45 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Nestle good start is very easy to digest or similac sensitive. They are both good to transition to.
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 5:47 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Answered at 4:40 PM on Aug. 10, 2009 by: Anonymous
    Why is it ANY of YOUR business why she is giving it up or more to the point (if read completly-it says supplimenting-meaning NOT EXCLUSIVE!) I didn't BF mine for two years and my kids are VERY healthy, VERY smart and VERY well rounded! ARE YOU THE BF POLICE?

Why are you hiding behind the anon button?

Answer by rkoloms at 5:49 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Because I don't need a bunch of trolls flooding my page with bashes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:08 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I'd like to point out that it is VERY normal for newborns to be fussy in the afternoon. Think about it: they've spent an entire day taking in new information and being stimulated by new sights, sounds, smells, touches, etc. By the time afternoon comes around, they're kind of on overload, so they get fussy and frustrated. It doesn't mean that there is a problem with your breast milk. It isn't something that formula can fix. This is something that they will outgrow. I'm sure you're already doing this, but experiment with lots of different ways of carrying your baby. Try to wear your baby in a Bjorn or in a sling. I worry that if you start giving formula rather than time on the breast, the baby will get even more fussy because she will be missing her close time with her mommy and the endorphin release brought on by nursing.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 6:13 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Geez she just wants an answer. I wasn't bf and I'm fine. I give my 7 month old daughter the generic to Enfamil Gentlease. I get it through Sam's Club which their version is Member's Mark. We save a ton of money and I just renewed my membership just to buy that formula. The only problem is you have to get 4 cans at once. But it worked well for her! We tried several others including name brands and none of them seemed to help
    msfila1980

Answer by msfila1980 at 6:21 PM on Aug. 10, 2009