So what are you supposed to do if you can't afford the insurance through your husband's work?

Apparently if you have another way to get insurance, you can't get tenncare. If we take my husband's insurance we will have $400 left a month...which isn't even enough to cover bills. So, now what? And NO BASHING! I'm stressed enough as is.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:39 PM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Call Tenncare and verify everything. FIRST.

Are there any lower cost options through your husband's work? PPOs usually mean a lower premium but higher out of pocket cost.

If none of those work, then check out eHealthinsurance.com for policies.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:42 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I guess look into a private policy for yourself but the coverage might not be as good and you may end up paying more out of pocket on the deductable.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 5:42 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I take it you don't qualify for state assistance? What about a discounted program for doctor appts and prescriptions? Does your pharmacy offer anything like that? Also, most states have an indigent program-meaning if you can't pay all you can make pmts. Also, most doctors offices will put you on a pmt. plan just ask! Good luck, and remember, this to shall pass.
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 5:43 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Paying the bills privately would be way more. I'd get on his ins
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:44 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• You should be able to qualify for a state health insurance program while you are pregnant if you are not covered. Also look into clinics that offer help some states have those and you just get the care that you need. Contact your health department.
    sarahlu2009

Answer by sarahlu2009 at 5:45 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I dunno what tenicare is... do you have medicaid in your area?
    marchma2b

Answer by marchma2b at 5:47 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Support Universal Healthcare.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:47 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• TennCare will cover you NO matter what if you are pregnant. What did they tell you at the offices? My DH has insurance that is really expensive through his work (its like 150$ a week) and I could not afford it so we went with TennCare. They covered me no problem. I would do some checking to make sure the information you have is correct.
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 5:47 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I'm not familiar wih Tenncare, but is it the same thing as Medicaid? I'm on Medicaid bc I've been working thru a company for 3 years now thru a temp service so I cant get insurance thru them. Medicaid will pay for eveything and they do it based on income.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:48 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• OP here. The Health Department referred me to the department of human services who told me what I just told you. The option I am talking about is the cheapest option and the insurance sucks. I would still have to pay $1,000 out of pocket for the birth. So, I don't know what to do.
    Anonymous