Any medicine I could take?

Anyone know of any at home remedies or medicine safe for me to take while breastfeeding? I have a sore throat, throbbing ears, and head congestion.... I've already been taking garlic with honey, oil of oregeno, and gargling with diluted apple cider vinager... waiting for the doctor's strep culture he took from me to come back before I know if I'll start an antibiotic or not... and I don't wanna take suddafed cuz I heard it lowers milk production which for a day and a half I already hardly had any milk, but it just started to come back a lil today ( I had to feed the baby with a cup, cuz she wont take a bottle).... but please let me know if you know anything else that might help me... I feel rotten

marchma2b

Asked by marchma2b at 5:42 PM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Health

• I recently tried gargling GSE (grapefruit seed extract) when I felt a sore throat coming on. It's REALLY strong, so I just put like 3 drops in a full glass of water. It's extremely bitter, and made my throat feel a little raw at first, but then the sore throat went away. Echinacea and goldenseal are supposed to be good. Whenever I'm congested, I flush my sinuses with saline or salt water. I just mix a pinch of salt in 1/2 glass of warm water and inhale it through my nose. Sounds crazy, but it actually clears out the gunk and takes down the swelling and feels pretty good afterward. I also like to have tea with a couple drops of eucalyptus or olbas oil. Or you can put a couple drops in a pot of boiling water and inhale the steam. It helps clear the congestion. Drink tons of water, and I hope you feel better soon!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 5:50 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• use saline nose spray NaSal or Ayer (it might be Ayre). Put warm cotton balls of oil in your ear and gargle with warm salt water enough to taste the salt but not salty tasting. If you go on antibiotics check w your pharmacist for his opinon and call the La Leche League. You don't have to be a member to get their help and they have medical liasons for more in depth help.

I had mastitis and was bf my baby. I bf a bit before a dose was due to be taken so less would get into breastmilk. Meds every four hours can be that way plus longer timed dosages too.

Keep up at least gargling suggested here - never heard of what you've been doing?? Also similasian (sp?) brand has ear drops for pain otc. And don't let wind get in your ears!! Feel better mommy, baby too!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:52 PM on Aug. 10, 2009